Sleepy but awake or asleep?

DCS

Reaction score
Iv asked this before and i thought it would make more sence once baby was here but i still dont get it.

How do i put baby down sleepy but awake? She falls asleep at the breast almost every feed? And if i do put her down before she is in a deep sleep she wakes up and cries. DH can then settle her sometimes by holding her and walking around.

I want to encourage self setteling because DS didnt learn to till he was almost 3. And even now if he wakes in the night he needs someone to sit with him for a fww minz while he falls asleep.

Isit worth me trying to get her to self settle or should i just continue to put her down once she is in a deep sleep , which is working fine atm.

Should say DD is 3 weeks old.

I think 3 weeks is too little to learn to self settle

I agree with LegoHouse, newborns can't self soothe. They are in desperate need of the comfort mom's arms and breasts give. If what you and your husband is doing is working, I say keep it up! :thumbup: This won't last forever, but right now she needs you to be her comfort.

Here is a great article someone sent me explaining why newborns can't self soothe:

https://sarahockwell-smith.com/2014/06/30/self-settling-what-really-happens-when-you-teach-a-baby-to-self-soothe-to-sleep/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->