Slight panic - what do you do with the kids in the school holidays ?

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear from dd's new school they are being soo slow - I woke up this morning and had panic - we both work, I'm going back prob march next year 3 days a week - we don't have any family locally - dd will be 4 1/2 - will there be holiday clubs are they expensive? Obviously this is something I will have to ask the school - what do I do if not ?? I don't really want to send her somewhere to a club where I don't know anyone or does she at such a little age

I guess there could be a few play dates and I could take time off and so could h but there seems to be so many holidays !

I think most families where both parents work use a combination of taking annual leave, play dates, holiday clubs and families. But it is a hell of a lot of time to cover.

We're really lucky because I'm a teacher so am off for the holidays - Tom will still need to go to holiday club a bit so I can get my preparation and work done before school starts up again. I'll also be offering to have a friend or 2 for him for days in the holidays in return for pick ups and drop offs if possible. Non pupil days are going to be really tricky if I have to work that day but he's not in school.

Half terms aren't so bad as I will only be working three days - it's more the six week block ! My holiday entitlement will be taken up with half terms and Christmas , I will also have a 1 year old in nursery - so there will be double costs then, I wish the school would hurry up and get in contact as will have to sit down with h and organise it all now !

Our school has been in touch and we know when Tom's starting but not the term dates and non pupil dates yet.

Are there any other parents you know who could share some of the childcare with you - you have their child for a day and then they have yours in return?

Yeah I think that's what we have to do somehow !

Most schools in this area offer a holiday club, it is £17 a day at my children's school x

We have been lucky so far that Josh's first school holidays I was due my 6 week sabbatical from work, then this year I'm on maternity leave. Next year is going to be, er, fun! I go back about March time too - I work 5 part time days though, so baby bear will be with childminder every day. Josh will be sent to family members for the odd week (my mum and my sister) - not just the 6 week block but Easter/half terms and then my sister in law will be able to help out the odd day, will have to do play days and the odd sports holiday club. I miss him when he goes away - had to do it this year during Easter, but he has so much fun and we FaceTime every day so that does make it easier. I'm not sure how happy he will be going off for a week when I will have the baby at home in the evenings...but I don't really have a choice, we can't afford to send him to the childminder everyday as well. Then hubby and I will take annual leave, hopefully at least a week together! Hubs works shift work so has the odd day off during the week as well, so that helps.

It's just a massive juggling act! My mum lives near Watford and my sister near Northampton, sister in law lives 10 mins up the road (we're near Cambridge)...so we tend to meet half way and do handovers in car parks of tescos!!!

I think it does end up being a juggling up. The idea of dealing with holidays is whats stopping me working at the moment as i don't want to shift them around from place to place.

As it's getting much more common i think more places are getting set up to look after kids just in the holidays. I know in our area various community centres are putting on holiday clubs. The average price where we are seems to be £20 per day.

some schools have next years dates on their website

some schools have next years dates on their website

The website is pretty pants ! Doesn't have a lot of info and doesn't look like it's updated that much - I can get hold of the dates tho it's not a huge problem

Look up county school dates 2014-2015. So for example Essex school dates will bring up council for Essex schools. The dates can vary slightly for teacher training but is quite accurate

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->