Slightly worried-placenta previa

HopingFor2v1

Soon to be Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I had my anatomy scan today (17w) and the tech said I had the slightest placenta previa. I have seen the term on this board before but never really knew what it was. They said it typically fixes itself and not to worry, but they want to see me back in 6 weeks to see if the placenta migrates. I can't lie, I'm a bit nervous! I'm really hoping that since it is only a slight placenta previa, that it will correct itself. They said to limit sex, but when I asked about exercising, my midwife said not to worry. Now, my question is, I teach an indoor cycling class, would you feel comfortable continuing on with teaching?

If the midwife said it's nothing to worry about I personally wouldnt stress about it. Have you had any spotting or bleeding after exercise at all so far? If you have Id speak to her again but if not I'm sure it's fine. I had full placenta previa last pregnancy but I was very lucky that it had moved fully out of the way by 34 weeks. I was on limitations of no sex and no heavy lifting or extreme exercise but everything else was allowed. If it's only slight there's a huge chance it's going to move soon so hopegully it won't effect you too much.

If the midwife said it's nothing to worry about I personally wouldnt stress about it. Have you had any spotting or bleeding after exercise at all so far? If you have Id speak to her again but if not I'm sure it's fine. I had full placenta previa last pregnancy but I was very lucky that it had moved fully out of the way by 34 weeks. I was on limitations of no sex and no heavy lifting or extreme exercise but everything else was allowed. If it's only slight there's a huge chance it's going to move soon so hopegully it won't effect you too much.

Thanks for the reassurance! Knock on wood, I haven't had any spotting or bleeding this pregnancy. Hopefully I can take it easy the next 6 weeks and I'll see the placenta move where it should be!

Did you have any major bleeding or spotting when you had your full placenta previa? I'm so glad yours work itself out.

I was diagnosed as well, and mine was almost touching my cervix. My scan at 21 weeks a couple days ago showed its 4cm away. It moved over 3cm since my last scan at 17 weeks!

Thanks for the reassurance! Knock on wood, I haven't had any spotting or bleeding this pregnancy. Hopefully I can take it easy the next 6 weeks and I'll see the placenta move where it should be!

Did you have any major bleeding or spotting when you had your full placenta previa? I'm so glad yours work itself out.

I did all the way through with a partial abrupion at 19 weeks that caused a huge bleed, had me on bed rest for a while.

No bleeding or spotting is a great sign. Hopefully it means yours is very slight and won't cause you much trouble. Fingers crossed it's moved by your next scan!

I was diagnosed as well, and mine was almost touching my cervix. My scan at 21 weeks a couple days ago showed its 4cm away. It moved over 3cm since my last scan at 17 weeks!

That's great news that yours moved so much! Definitely gives me hope! I wish I didn't have to wait 6 weeks to find out it there have been any changes. At first she said she wanted me back in 4 weeks, but then changed her mind and said 6. :dohh:

I had this with DS1 but it completely moved out of the way :) I wouldn't worry x

I had this diagnosed at my 20 week scan, grade 4 completely covering.
Had a scan today at 28+3 and it's moved miles away.
I have been very stressed & worried these last 8 weeks over the threat of bleeding but all for nothing thank goodness.
Lots of luck to you, hope it shifts soon x

Am I correct in assuming that PP can't get worse? I could have interpreted what my OB was saying incorrectly, but she made it sound like it starts however bad it's going to be and then it has the potential to get better?

I guess if it's only low lying or slightly covering your cervix it could move as you grow and cover more but as far as I'm aware the risks are still the same.
I avoided sex as advised but heavy lifting a bit trickier as I have a toddler and if she falls then I'm dam well picking her up!
Got so fed up of being nagged at by family & friends to take it easier, now I feel a bit smug I can carry on as normal 😊

They don't normally scan you again until 32 weeks here so I was lucky they saw me at 28, think the stress might have sent me a bit crazy otherwise!

Don't be nervous. It's very common and 90% of the time, the placenta moves well away from the cervix closer to term. Even 6 weeks from now would be pretty early to expect any change, so don't be disheartened if it's still there. Most of the time you get re-scanned closer to 32-36 weeks to check to see if it's moved. I had marginal placenta previa, basically where the placenta was lying next to, but not covering the cervix detected at 20/21 weeks. I had a follow up scan at 36 weeks and it was fine. I had my daughter, born at home in planned home birth, the next week and all went great. Sometimes you do get some bleeding or spotting, but that's more typical with the more severe forms where it's completely covering the cervix. I didn't personally have any bleeding related to the placenta (I did have a bleed in 1st tri, but that's really before you have a functioning placenta, so that wasn't considered as a cause). You're probably quite fit since you're used to teaching already, so I wouldn't necessarily change anything as long as everything else is going well. If you were to get some bleeding later on just from the placenta getting irritated, then yes, I would cut back on your cycling, but if you feel well now and there haven't been any problems, I wouldn't worry about them before they happen. I'd carry on and try to put to out of your mind for now.

Don't be nervous. It's very common and 90% of the time, the placenta moves well away from the cervix closer to term. Even 6 weeks from now would be pretty early to expect any change, so don't be disheartened if it's still there. Most of the time you get re-scanned closer to 32-36 weeks to check to see if it's moved. I had marginal placenta previa, basically where the placenta was lying next to, but not covering the cervix detected at 20/21 weeks. I had a follow up scan at 36 weeks and it was fine. I had my daughter, born at home in planned home birth, the next week and all went great. Sometimes you do get some bleeding or spotting, but that's more typical with the more severe forms where it's completely covering the cervix. I didn't personally have any bleeding related to the placenta (I did have a bleed in 1st tri, but that's really before you have a functioning placenta, so that wasn't considered as a cause). You're probably quite fit since you're used to teaching already, so I wouldn't necessarily change anything as long as everything else is going well. If you were to get some bleeding later on just from the placenta getting irritated, then yes, I would cut back on your cycling, but if you feel well now and there haven't been any problems, I wouldn't worry about them before they happen. I'd carry on and try to put to out of your mind for now.

Thanks for the reassurance! You guys have given me lots of hope that it will more than likely correct itself. My midwife didn't do the best job of explaining it to me, and just from what I've seen on this board, I didn't want to google placenta previa.

They explained nothing to me! Luckily a good friend is an obs registrar so she was amazing & talked me through everything. They never even told me to avoid sex when that's the biggest known cause of bleeding!
I hope it shifts out of the way for you very soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->