Slow rise, Fallback rise, or not yet Ovulated?

nenna2018

Reaction score
Hello all! <3

My name is Nicole and I'm new to this forum! I'm 24 years old (Rh-), my husband is 26 years old (Rh+), and we're currently TTC #1.

I have consistently been charting BBT for 2+ years now as our method of BC, and it has always provided us with reliable information and relatively consistent patterns.
More information about my usual cycles/background:
I tend to have a dip in temperature the day of/before ovulation (~97.6 F), then a sudden, obvious temperature spike (~98.3 F). Sometimes the spike takes 2 days of obvious rise to get to it's peak, with the first day rising to ~98 F.

My cycles are anywhere from 29 - 40 days long, with the avg being 35.
Last 3 cycles: (Apr: 28, May: 36, Jun: 37)

I also tend to have a lot of CM my entire cycle, so I generally do not keep track unless its out of the ordinary or otherwise noteworthy. I mostly have watery and creamy(white), and only one or two cycles a year do I get EWCM.

Luteal phase is 14 days.

I do not have any other ovulation symptoms, and even AF symptoms are almost non-existent. My periods usually last 6 days.

...sure enough, the first cycle that we're TTC I'm getting bizarre results. :wacko:

I've been driving myself crazy this past week thinking that I've ovulated and that I'm in the TWW, only to have BBT drop low instead of spiking! This morning was the third time this past week that I was convinced I'd get my temperature spike, but instead it has dropped significantly. Depending on when you think ovulation has occurred, I could be 6DPO, 3DPO, or have not yet ovulated!

I'd like to keep this as short as possible, so I'm going to hide all of my thoughts and more information in another spoiler tag. I'm mostly wondering if I should be concerned about having a positive OPK on CD20 and CD21 (estimated O day was CD21), but a confusing post-O chart.
My main confusion stems from the fact that this is the first cycle using an OPK. I got my first and darkest positive on CD20. I got a lighter positive on CD21. CD21 was also the calculated O day by FF (usually accurate), and I also got the lowest temperature I've ever gotten in my past 2 years of BBT charting. All good, typical signs of ovulation for me.

I tested once or twice a day with OPKs from CD10 - CD23 and have always gotten negatives except on CD20 and CD21.

Seeing that my temperature rose, slower than usual, but still was rising on CD22 and CD23, I figured I could just be having a slower rise than usual. No big deal, right? I was fairly convinced I O'd on CD21 as long as my temps kept rising.

Then, I got that dip on CD25 which threw me for a loop. I figured it was still within 48 hours of the last positive OPK, so no problem, I probably O'd on CD24. I felt good the next day, getting that large BBT spike on CD25, as it was right at my usual first day of rising temp level (~98 F). It was also higher than all my pre-o temps, so it would match my usual pattern if CD26 would have spiked again to 98.2+.

...but yesterday's temp stayed the same, and today's temp dropped. Yesterday I did notice that I had EWCM (rare for me), so in combination with the temp drop from this morning, maybe I ovulate today? If I do ovulate today, its putting me at a 41 day cycle and I'd need to ignore the positive OPK.

I'd love to get some opinions on my chart and let me know when you think I ovulated, or what's going on!

Being our first cycle TTC, I was hesitant to even post this chart, as I know many of you have been TTC much longer. However, after excessive google searches and reading about similar bizarre charts on forums like these, I decided that my chart might be able to help ease the stress of others in similar situations: If I do end up getting a BFP without a noticeable spike, it would be good proof to others that it's possible to conceive several days past getting a positive OPK, or not having an obvious BBT rise. :shrug:

Thank you and sending lots of love and baby dust to you all!

Attachments

• AugCycle_1.png
    AugCycle_1.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 10
UPDATE:

Yesterday I had EWCM again, and I took an OPK around 6pm in the evening just to see what would happen. It was the same darkness as the control line towards the left side, but quickly faded out to fairly light on the right side. This hasn't happened on any of my obviously negative days, but I did get a similar pattern like this on the 2nd positive OPK on CD21, although it was overall darker and more obviously a positive than this one.

Now I'm wishing I would have tested earlier yesterday morning, as I perhaps I am catching the tail end of a second LH surge? There's no way to know.

At this point, even if my temperature spikes to above 98.2 tomorrow, it would still be fairly slow rise to what I'm used to getting. Just hoping it's not an AO cycle and I either get a BFP or Af sometime between Aug 28 - Sep 2.

Only time will tell... but I'd still love to hear any theories or guesses about my O day if anyone has any ideas or similar experiences! :)

UPDATE:

Due to the questionable positive yesterday, I decided to test just a few minutes ago and got what I consider an unquestionable positive OPK! It is 7 days past the first set of initial OPKs, and lines up with the EWCM I've had the past 3 days!

All things considered, I believe my body had geared up for ovulation, failed to successfully release the egg, and is having a second surge now. At this point, my cycle will be at least 42 days long, if I'm not mistaken, which is longer than it's ever been.

...we'll see what happens tomorrow with BBT! Sad to no longer be 6dpo and starting the TWW over again, but just happy to have a new wave of hope for this cycle!

Attachments

• 2ndPositiveOPK.jpg
    2ndPositiveOPK.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 6
UPDATE:

Well... I'm confused now.

I'm very dry with no CM, had a temp spike this morning to a temp that is always post-O for me, so I felt pretty confident that I O'd yesterday.

...But I got a strong positive OPK again just now, with negatives all yesterday. I'm also feeling super bloated and had cramps this morning. If AF comes, it would still be at least 3-4 days away.

I'll attach my current chart. I think I'm just going to test every other day until AF comes or I get a BFP, because nothing makes sense anymore. :wacko:

Attachments

• AugCycle_3.jpg
    AugCycle_3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet