Small baby stopping after 2 sucks

CantWaitToTTC

Reaction score
My waters broke 3 weeks early, my daughter was born 1 day before 37 weeks. She was 5lbs 14ozs, a lot smaller then my full term son at 8lbs 10 1/2ozs.

Due to her age and size, she is sleepier then most babies, but to be honest, my son was a lazy feeder too - was hard to wake him for feeds.

But she isn't any better now, at 6 days old. She will suck on my breast for one or two sucks, then she comes off and just rests. I tried changing her, tickling, etc. and I'd get one or two more sucks then nothing. After a while of having her lie on me, she gets distraught, snorts, doesn't stay latched on and then screams. By this point I top her up with up to 70mil of expressed milk in a bottle, which she gobbles down. I will then express both breast straight after, to get them used to her feeding pattern.

Is this OK, will she suddenly start asking all her milk from the breast? Should I continue doing it this way till she takes longer feeds?

I can pump up to 50 mil in 15 minutes per breast, so it isn't my milk flow that is wrong.

Have you tried feeding her less from the bottle and offering the breast again after the expressed milk? Just thinking that the expressed milk should give her the energy to suck in case it's because she's too tired to work for it?

No...I didn't think about that. So, give her breast, then half bottle, then breast again?

I'll try that. Thank you!

Yep glad you understood what I was trying to say!
Whenever you do anything always offer breast first as eventually bubba will take breast completely. But what you said is exactly it breast then a little top up then breast again. It may not work but I know some babies get into the cycle of too tired to work for it so aren't able to get the milk meaning they are still tired and just goes round in circles, this can then break that cycle. As bubba gets the hang of it and gains energy and weight it'll get easier for him.
Remember that at this stage if bubba wants to comfort suckle let him, also even just next to the nipple with skin to skin will help your supply even if he's not feeding.
Good luck

Becki x

My LO was jaundiced so very sleepy to feed so had to be topped up with formula but now at 8 weeks we have been only breastfeeding with no bottle for a few weeks or so, so hopefully once your LO is less sleepy she will happily breastfeed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->