Small baby?

Cat Louise

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone been told their baby is small and then everything has been fine? Had a 32wk check up and midwife said baby feels a bit small, it's got me a bit worried :/

I've just been through something similar myself! I saw a consultant yesterday who felt my tummy and decided my baby was "very small" and that I'd probably need to be induced because of it. But then they did a scan and baby isn't small at all, he/she is estimated to weigh about 7lbs! In my case it was a combination of me having a long torso (which can make the fundal measurement less accurate) and baby's position. He/she is tucked way down and all curled up, as I saw on the scan!

If the midwife is still concerned by your baby's size at your next appointment you might get referred for a scan, but please don't panic. It's difficult to guess a baby's size accurately just by feeling. Plus some babies are just on the small side but totally healthy.. All of mine have been. My second was born two days before my due date and only weighed 6lbs 4oz. She was perfectly healthy and piled the weight on once she was born!

All the best :flower:

Small doesn't mean unhealthy so try not to worry! I was a very small baby, i was 2 weeks late and just under 6 pounds.

I was told both of my boys would be very small and I had growth scans that backed that up too. Ds1 was born at 39+6 and weighed 6lb 4oz and ds2 was born at 40+6 weighing 7lb 4oz. So not huge but not tiny either. I'm not huge myself so it's unlikely that I would make big babies to be honest!

I was told at my 20 week scan that my baby is in the 10-15th percentile. I haven't had any growth scans or anything, I'm not worried. My fundal height is normal and baby seems fine. Plus my first has always been in the 3-15th percentile and he's very healthy. Some babies are just small.

Thanks ladies, I'm quite tall and know baby is curled up on one side so think it'll just be down to that. You watch I'll end up with a 10 pounder!!!

i had small babies at term an bumb measured spot on for gest etc. Had extra scans no 2 an she measured 2weeks behind. No1 born 39+5 at 6ib 12oz an no2 at 39+6 at 6ib 7oz. Both healthy.

I had small babies too and they were perfectly healthy. DD was 5lb 2oz (a doctor actually asked if I smoked whilst pregnant with her! As if! I've never even smoked!) and DS was 5lb 14oz. Both at 39 weeks. There were no clues they were going to be small, they just were. DH ans his brother were 5lb babies too, as was my mum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->