Small fundal height, how concerned should I be?

laughingduck

Mother of one daughter
Reaction score
So I'm 29.5 weeks pregnant, and today I measured 26cm for my fundal height. The doctor is sending me for a growth ultrasound but it's 4 weeks away. In the meantime I'm stuck worrying. Has anyone else measured small and had a normal sized baby? Also does anyone know if dehydration can affect fundal height? I was very sick yesterday, vomiting all day, couldn't keep in fluids, and wonder if this maybe influenced my measurement?

I am also running 4 weeks behind on fundal growth- my dr says i'm just small!! She isn't concerned because i've had ultrasounds and she knows baby girl is growing- it's just that i'm not growing!!! I wouldn't be concerned- next month you could have caught up!! These babies are on their own schedule for growth spurts!!

i wouldnt worry too much. im measuring behind a bit. im very small framed so this could b why

Lol I'm going the opposite way! I'm 27 weeks and measured 30 weeks today (almost 31) and I have to have an ultrasound done, they haven't called to schedule it yet though... Did your doctor seemed concerned?? I've measured .5 cm ahead the last 2 times she's checked but now it jumped to 3 almost 4!

It's hard to say if the doctor was concerned. She said it was ok, but then did suggest we get an ultrasound to check things out so I don't know how concerned she really is, she may have just been trying to not worry me too much? She said last appointment I had 4 weeks ago I measured 1cm behind. I'm not a petite person at 5'9", so it's not that I'm having a petite child. I'm worried because I have ulcerative colitis (IBS type digestive disease) and have to be on meds for it and am worried they are slowing down her growth. Trying not to worry but it's so hard sometimes :(

You also have a long torso to "hide" baby. I'm 5'9 as well and she tells me each time that i just hide her cause i have a longer torso. i'm sure all is well- the growth scan will tell. :)

I'm 32 weeks and measuring at 27! Dr. isn't concerned, says I'm just super small.

I always measured small with my first pregnancy always 3-4 weeks behind . My doc sent me for multiple growth scans but baby measured fine at each . I'm 5'9 and a pretty slender person . She was a smaller baby at only 6lbs 8oz but still within the norm . I've consistently measured 2-3 weeks behind so far with this pregnancy and my midwife is not the least bit concerned . I try not to worry as I know it's normal and my daughter turned out just fine but it's hard not to .

Just proves everyone is different and every pregnancy is different :flower: I'm 5'9 also and have a "medium" build so I expected that I'd be measuring smaller as my torso is long and my legs are just "normal" but I'm measuring ahead- even though my bump doesn't show as much as a lot of people who are even a week or so behind me :shrug:

Dont worry about it my Fundal Height all the way through has measured on the 70th centile baby is measuring very small on the 15th centile!

I'm running 3/4 cms behind and at last growth scan baby was measuring slightly small but within range. I was also told that it could be because I'm smaller. With my last however, I was a monster :lol:

Hello!
I'm 5'9" and a slim build (or I used to be!) too. I measured 24cm at 25 weeks and this time 26cm at 28 weeks. Midwife wasn't worried at all, said it was still within the 'normal' range and said it was due to my strong stomach muscles!!! (Made her repeat that to my hubby several times!) I've not done any decent exercise for years so not too sure about the strong stomach muscles but she seemed very relaxed about it all. Is this your first or second? She said next time (if we get that far!!!) I would probably get bigger quicker as the muscles had been stretched once already.
My sister's midwife never really measured her the whole was through either of hers!
Don't you just hate all these statistics though - just another thing to not be normal about!
I am sure all is fine - try not to worry too much xxxx

At my 26 wks apt I was measuring 21cm (5cm out) and Dr didn't seem too concerned / he said they are very vulgar measurements as everyone is different. At my 32 wk apt I measured 30 cm and different Dr didn't mention a thing. People keep commenting on how small I am but I try not to worry as baby seems to be growing normally.

Try not to worry as everyone is different

i measured 3 weeks behind at 25 weeks an was sent for growth scan baby was measuring exactly wer should be!
Now im tiny height wise! im only 5'2 so you would think the baby wud have nower to go but out...but i have a tilted cervix an iv heard alot of women with this have measured small, baby lies more to the back an so doesnt stick out front as much meaning you will ave a small fundal height now im measuring just a week behind at almost 32 weeks so baby definately has had a growth spurt! but really mw r doc wer really concerned its a really rough guide not accurate at all!! so wouldnt panic, especially with ur height tall women always hide the baby alot better an some just dont show till like the very very end!!! hope alls well hun but really dont panic xxxx

I measued 5 weeks behind ans mall on scans and popped out an almost 8lber. :D xx

I measured behind with all 3 of mine and they always sent me for a growth scan only to find they were all relatively big babies. This time they're not bothering to send me to check since this happens all the time to me.
I wouldn't be worried yet because more than likely there will be no issues.

My fundal Height is small too. I'm only slim build thou. I've had various growth scans he was measuring slightly small but they weren't too concerned as they said it's not very accurate anyway. My last scan at 34 weeks he had caught up and they said all his measurements were fine so try not to worry. If they were concerned they wouldn't make you wait 4 weeks.

I wouldnt worry what so ever. Fundal height is something that is just used to gage growth it doesnt mean something is wrong with growth of baby! The scan is the best way to know if something is really wrong. Everyones body build is different. Im 5'9 with a long torso and just this last week could people even tell im pregnant and my fundal height is 27cm and im almost 31 weeks. and Like I said it just now got that high since I "popped". Our baby measures heavy and two to three weeks ahead and perfectly healthy!

Hey there

I measured and looked a little small all the way through and had an extra scan at 37 weeks (to check placenta previa not size). Doctors/midwives predicted baby between 6 and 7 lbs ... I was more than slightly surprised to give birth to a 9.5 lb bouncing baby boy! OUCH!

Bunny xxx

I measure 7weeks behind, had a growth scan, and hes growing perfcetly :D Im just small, try not to worry hun xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->