Small nurseries (and I mean small!!!)...

N

Neecee

...as in box rooms or just a space in your own bedroom.

After seeing lollylou1's nursery: https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-club/53751-my-nursery.html I really want to be able to do something similar. The only thing is our LO will be in our bedroom. We will be on one side of the room and LO will be on the other. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make LO's end of the room look nice, but kinda have it tied in with our end of the room.

I'm not really keen on having 2 seperate styles in the same room, but we still want LO to have their own little 'space'. I'll try and put on a little plan of the room layout so you can see what I'm working with.

Thanks in advance!

Ok, here's a layout of the room. The main obstacle we have, is that when we moved in, there was this weird concertina-style wall seperating the bedroom from the lounge. so in my quest for style, rather than thinking ahead and building a stud partition wall, we had a sliding wall put in (obviously not thinking about any future plans for children!)

So basically, that whole side of the room needs to be kept clear.

The dotted line over the drawers is where we are putting up shelving.

Attachments

• room layout.JPG
    room layout.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 97
could keep it all neutral with creams and a nice bedding set for LO and cot mobile etc. And a few piccies above the cot

Hi hun, you could paint or paper the wall at LO end with a different colour but one that ties in with your end. If not, just hanging a couple of pictures on the wall and a few other bits and pieces would would look nice. Once you have added the cot/moses it will look like LO end.

Could you use a fancy screen, Japanese style say, to sort of identify the nursery area. Not to block off baby though of course!

I would paint the wall that the cot is up against, a pastel colour that would go with the rest of the room....so if the rest of your room was cream, but your bed linen or theme was dark red for example i would do the baby's wall a pastel light pink and then accessorise......

Also, my friend had the same thing (baby in the same room) and she put a tension pole (no need for drilling or affixing) going across the two walls under the ceiling and had a curtain attached to it to 'close off' the baby's part.....it wasnt a thick heavy curtain but you know them really light fabrics (kinda like muslin that you can see through but its a bit blurred....and sort of like the same material you get for the cutains/canopys that go round a four poster bed)......she said it was open most of the time but it was nice to pull it across when baby was asleep and especially when the baby was older and mum and daddy wanted 'special time'....she said there was nothing more offputting than the baby facing you or watching you and gurgling....!!

I would paint the wall that the cot is up against, a pastel colour that would go with the rest of the room....so if the rest of your room was cream, but your bed linen or theme was dark red for example i would do the baby's wall a pastel light pink and then accessorise......

Also, my friend had the same thing (baby in the same room) and she put a tension pole (no need for drilling or affixing) going across the two walls under the ceiling and had a curtain attached to it to 'close off' the baby's part.....it wasnt a thick heavy curtain but you know them really light fabrics (kinda like muslin that you can see through but its a bit blurred....and sort of like the same material you get for the cutains/canopys that go round a four poster bed)......she said it was open most of the time but it was nice to pull it across when baby was asleep and especially when the baby was older and mum and daddy wanted 'special time'....she said there was nothing more offputting than the baby facing you or watching you and gurgling....!!:rofl:

That's an excellent idea! The only thing is the mirrored wardrobe doors go floor to ceiling and I'm not sure if there will be a solid bit at the top for a pole to press against. Also, I dunno if I'd be able to get a tension pole 2.5 metres long. I might have to do something like screw curtain hooks to the ceiling and separate it off with a curtain cord. It's a really good idea though!

The walls are cream, so we'll keep them all that colour. I need to find some really nice neutral-toned baby stuff.

For neutral stuff try:

'Round and Round the Garden' range at Argos
'Hearts and kisses' range at NEXT
'Olly and Molly' range at NEXT
'Please Look After Me' range at Mothercare
'Teddys Wash Day' range at Mothercare
'Baby Bear' range at Babies R Us
'I Love My Bear' at Babies R Us

x

For neutral stuff try:

'Round and Round the Garden' range at Argos
'Hearts and kisses' range at NEXT
'Olly and Molly' range at NEXT

'Please Look After Me' range at Mothercare
'Teddys Wash Day' range at Mothercare
'Baby Bear' range at Babies R Us
'I Love My Bear' at Babies R Us

x

Those two are my favourites so far. I'm also going to look for a voile (sp?) with maybe a nice embroidered pattern across either the top or bottom to use as a partition.

Hmm, I'm actually in the mood to redecorate the whole room now - our side an' all! I'm here looking for ideas online, but work has blocked most of the sites I need to get on!:hissy:

Those two are my favourites so far. I'm also going to look for a voile (sp?) with maybe a nice embroidered pattern across either the top or bottom to use as a partition.

Hmm, I'm actually in the mood to redecorate the whole room now - our side an' all! I'm here looking for ideas online, but work has blocked most of the sites I need to get on!:hissy:[/QUOTE]

Im assuming the voile thing is the correct name for the curtain thing i was on about....?

if you only manage to find a plain one.....then whatever bedding you buy for both you and the baby...buy something extra like an extra pillowcase for example and sew some squares to the bottom of the voile....may weight it down a bit and go with the room.....

Im assuming the voile thing is the correct name for the curtain thing i was on about....?

if you only manage to find a plain one.....then whatever bedding you buy for both you and the baby...buy something extra like an extra pillowcase for example and sew some squares to the bottom of the voile....may weight it down a bit and go with the room.....

Girl, lemme give you a hug :friends:

I'll buy you a :wine:when you've popped your sprog too!

The only thing I noticed about the room set up was that you will be facing/staring at the nursery wall of the room from your bed, so you'd want to pick something for decor that you can happily look at for awhile!
I don't really know your tastes, but I really love Scandinavian design: more modern prints. Some sites with really funky and interesting baby decor are:
https://www.amenityhome.com/e-store/prod_cats.asp?parent=751254526415&pcid=751255413281
https://www.modernseed.com/
or
https://www.klippansyllefabrik.se/CHILDREN.htm
The Klippan site is a slideshow with about 30 slides. You have to click the little boxes on the bottom left of the screen.
I like these sites because the prints are whimsical and childlike, but not so kiddy that you are going to feel like you're at the local daycare everytime you hop into bed, if you know what I mean?
Modernseed has the most variety. The Dell bedding is cute. I've seen it close up and it's top quality.
Oh, and warning - these products tend to be VERY pricey. I am treating myself to one or two items, and then just shamelessly stealing ideas. :)

The only thing I noticed about the room set up was that you will be facing/staring at the nursery wall of the room from your bed, so you'd want to pick something for decor that you can happily look at for awhile!
I don't really know your tastes, but I really love Scandinavian design: more modern prints. Some sites with really funky and interesting baby decor are:
https://www.amenityhome.com/e-store/prod_cats.asp?parent=751254526415&pcid=751255413281
https://www.modernseed.com/
or
https://www.klippansyllefabrik.se/CHILDREN.htm
The Klippan site is a slideshow with about 30 slides. You have to click the little boxes on the bottom left of the screen.
I like these sites because the prints are whimsical and childlike, but not so kiddy that you are going to feel like you're at the local daycare everytime you hop into bed, if you know what I mean?
Modernseed has the most variety. The Dell bedding is cute. I've seen it close up and it's top quality.
Oh, and warning - these products tend to be VERY pricey. I am treating myself to one or two items, and then just shamelessly stealing ideas. :)

Thanks for that! I really like the linen prints from the amenity web site. We're looking for mainly neutrals and designs that aren't too kiddy, so that's the kind of thing we'd be looking at also.

The amenity sets just about got me!
They are gorgeous - I've seen them in the store, and they feel as nice as they look. Really good quality fabrics.
In the end, I had to admit they were too expensive, unless I cut a lot of other things out of the nursery budget. :(
I have decided to go with the Bruno bedding from the Klippan site. I have already bought a little wool blanket and pillow and will go for the crib bedding, as well.
It will still work if the baby boy defies the scan reading and turns out to be a girl in the end!:)

Girl, lemme give you a hug :friends:

I'll buy you a :wine:when you've popped your sprog too![/QUOTE]

Your on!! :friends:

Im gonna be gagging by the time she is out!! Funny thing is....not a massive drinker before i was pregggers (serious lightweight!!) but lately...i have been seriously craving wine!!!!

I don't even drink, but I'm seriously craving one of the humming birds I had in Jamaica earlier this year!

I've decided to paint LO's end of the room in the coffee colour we have on one of our front room walls. I'm going to paint some panels similar to the ollie & molly ones in Next, but I'm going to personalise them for baby. So the main colour them will be coffee and cream, but I'm going to add in accents of either a dark pink for a girl or a dark blue for a boy. Sounds weird, but trust me, it works!

And it's an excuse to buy some nice new bed clothes for our end of the room!

Im sure it will work..... sounds lovely..when do you find out whether your having a boy or girl....!?

My nursery is a bit of a mish mash...havent stuck to 'theme' at all...just lots of colours....im hoping it all ties together....im off to ikea at the end of the month to get the last few bits....they have a really gorgeous cot canopy that i really love so im going to go and get that....then get OH to put up the cot and then will post pictures.......

Im sure it will work..... sounds lovely..when do you find out whether your having a boy or girl....!?

My nursery is a bit of a mish mash...havent stuck to 'theme' at all...just lots of colours....im hoping it all ties together....im off to ikea at the end of the month to get the last few bits....they have a really gorgeous cot canopy that i really love so im going to go and get that....then get OH to put up the cot and then will post pictures.......

I won't know the sex for another 3 weeks, but this is what I had in mind for either boy or girl:

Attachments

• colour palette.jpg
    colour palette.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 3
I also love everything on this page: https://www.mamasandpapas.co.uk/range/once-upon-a-time/2970/limit-45/page-1/sort-0/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->