smear fear!

Stevensmummyx

Mum of 2 boys and one surprise bump
Reaction score
Eeeeeek I was supposed to book a smear test after I turned 20 which was 5 months ago! But I'm terrified! I kinda know the basic procedure I think but I've heard horror stories which puts me off! Anyone got any advice info or experiences that they don't mind sharing! Thanks in advance ladies x

firstly dont worry i had my first one back in march of last year and was the same, proper scared, nervous and heard stories. The important thing is that u relax...... what they use isnt as big as the stories lol its over within a minute :)

I haven't had one so all I can say is don't worry. My mum said its uncomfortable but doesn't hurt. It's basically like having a sweep ... try not to worry as you need to be relaxed hun :flower: xx

Thanks ladies! Think I'm gonna book in soon but petrified! I heard they cut a piece of your cervix off I of course know that's ridiculous but its still scary lol! X

There nothing to worry about and its so important to get them done!

i've had several done since i was 20 (now 28) as i had abnormal cells which meant i had to go back every 3 - 6 months, but was given the all clear over three years ago.

They can be a little uncomfortable but its over in a couple of minutes, they scrape a little bit of your cervix for the cells thats all.

I had my first when I was 16 (long story) and like OP said, it's uncomfortable, no worse than a sweep, in fact probably less uncomfortable :haha: xxx

A smear is uncomfy,but not painful, they take a swab from your cervix-it's all over in seconds.Ignore the horror stories.I've always been told its best to book it mid cycle.xxx

i put mine off for about 10 yrs :( had one and everything fine

please book it, the relief you will feel when it comes back ok x

A smear is uncomfy,but not painful, they take a swab from your cervix-it's all over in seconds.Ignore the horror stories.I've always been told its best to book it mid cycle.xxx

Book the smear for mid cycle or wait till mid cycle then make the appointment? X

Thanks ladies for reassuring me! Defo going to do it soon! X

Book the smear for mid cycle or wait till mid cycle then make the appointment? X

Sorry book it for mid cycle...honestly the worse bit is having your bits out :rofl:

No other time do you walk into a room,say hi to a stranger and then take your underwear off :rofl: xx

So after months of waiting for my last cycle to end (and build up the courage) I booked my smear for today however when I went in the stupid receptionist was of no help what so ever, she told me I didn't have an appointment? Really coz I phoned last week and it was definitely today, she basically told me I was lying and I would have to wait in que and just see a doctor the same as everyone else, she didn't even know why I was there, she didn't even check the computer to see if I had an appointment!! So I just walked out! Back to square 1 lol! Mini rant! Sorry xx

Not sure, I think they do it in the sandyford clinic will have to give them a call later xx

I won't tell you my own personal smear horror story from years ago (involving nearly every member of the surgery staff, both male & female, all in the room at the same time, watching and/or taking it in turns to have-a-go because they couldn't get enough cells for a sample) because I don't want to put you off. :haha:

But my current (and extremely lovely) GP thinks my smear-horror-story is hilarious. And every time she does my smear, when she goes to lock the door, she jokes that she's off to invite all the people in the waiting room to come and watch. :blush: :haha:

However, if all goes well for you, and I'm 100% sure it will :hugs: ....its a very quick and painless procedure... :flower:

I wouldnt say its like a sweep (OUCH!!) its so easy honestly, its over in 2 seconds so try not to worry, I dont understand why some people put it off cause of ''horror stories'' they can save your life. You will be fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->