Smear Tests

LaDY

Mummy Of Two xx
Reaction score
So i recieved a letter from the GP that now i have turned 25 i should come in for a smear test! I so don't want to :growlmad:

Iv had swabs done before...is it similar?...

I guess when you've had a baby this should be no big deal but your in so much pain at that time that you dont care what they prod up there! But this time will be different...

xx

It actually take you longer to get your trousers off than it does to take the swab lol. But yes its exactly the same

they dont hurt (i have them every 6 months so have had tons!) and are sooo important - please make sure you go xx

They sent one out to me while I was away over Christmas, so now they've sent me anther letter saying that because I ignored it, I'm not allowed another smear for 3 years :wacko:

Obviously I'll contest it, but how can they possibly say that?!

My 2 werent just swabs they used a speculum and its just uncomfortable like an internal that you had in labour.. wouldnt worry about it its just one of those things. I always find my bits get really cold in the doctors surgery! :rofl:

They sent one out to me while I was away over Christmas, so now they've sent me anther letter saying that because I ignored it, I'm not allowed another smear for 3 years :wacko:

'' not allowed '' ??? thats ridiculous. Especially after all the jade goody fiasco! I think its ridic that you have to be 25 in England, im 23 and ive had 2, everyone should be able to get one whenever they want and soon as theyre sexually active!

i started having them when i was 21 (was meant to be earlier but kept putting it off lol) has the over 25 rule started recently?

'' not allowed '' ??? thats ridiculous. Especially after all the jade goody fiasco! I think its ridic that you have to be 25 in England, im 23 and ive had 2, everyone should be able to get one whenever they want and soon as theyre sexually active!

Yep, apparently I'm not allowed to make an appointment for a smear now, and I've never had one before. I'm sure when I point out I missed the letter, they'll be fine with it but it's a bizarre thing to say in a letter!

It is a bizarre thing if they routinely do that to all the people who miss letters! Not very good. They probably wont even notice if you rang and made an appt.. what are they gonna do put a sticky on your file '' do not let this lady have a smear ' ... what a joke! Smear tests are so important cant believe a professional GP surgery even wrote that!

Caz the over 25 thing seems to be only in England or most of england.. not sure, some areas are and some arent?

I didn't realise you had to be 25 - i've had about 4 and i'm 29!!!

They're really not that bad hun, maybe uncomfortable but as someone else said they are so so important x

I got my first one in Aberdeen - got a letter when i was 19, So off i went, then theyre meant to be every 3 years ( imo should be every year! ) So hen i was 22 i lived in london and they didnt wanna give me one, i had to tell them i had had one and was due one, and i got '' but do you have any concerns or worries or symptoms? '' I actually had to say yes to get one! (i didnt tho-was just due one)

Thankyou everyone for your replies...

Its funny as im so prone to having some sort of nasties going on down below iykwim :lol:...thrush etc that i actually asked my GP back in October if i could have one just for peace of mind...she turned round and said i can but i had to wait till my 25th birthday :shock:...which was only 2 months after i asked! Apparently her reason was that by the time you reach 25 if there is anything wrong it would have cleared up :confused:...xx

Rafwife get your bum to the GPs and get it sorted :thumbup: xx

Ive had loads done and there not too bad, had irregular cells (or something :dohh:) so had to go every three months for ages!

They've always used the speculum thing with me too, bit uncomfortable, but better to be safe then sorry i say!

I've had one too, and it was the first time I've ever needed any internal type stuff done. It really wasn't too bad, worth it for the peace of mind :) xx

Rafwife if they said you arent allowed, you can complain to PCT and get them on your side and get what you wanted. I had smear tests since I was about 18, and due for one in June. Cant believe your surgery said that, its stupid thing to say in the letter, and they should concerning about the risks down there if you caught something?! xxx

My 2 werent just swabs they used a speculum and its just uncomfortable like an internal that you had in labour.. wouldnt worry about it its just one of those things. I always find my bits get really cold in the doctors surgery! :rofl:

Urgh, my OB GYN tried to use a speculum to give me an internal and it hurt like HELL. I mean I literally shouted out in pain and sat up to beat him away :lol: He said "We won't do that then!"...He wasn't the easiest of people, he next used his fingers to feel my womb and just SHOVED them up there - OUCH. :dohh:

Anyway, the speculum shouldn't hurt! And they just use it to open you up so they can stick what is basically a mascara brush up there, twist it around a couple of times on your cervix to pick up cells and then might use a swab or something... I've never had one and refused one at my first OB GYN appointment because I'm pregnant...Will probably end up having one after the baby's born, but my nurse said because I had the HPV vaccine, it would show up abnormal anyway :shrug: what's the point in that?!

xx

I actually had one of these letters last week (as I turn 25 in a few weeks).I have had a couple of smears done in the past,once at the gynaecologist and once at my old doctors a couple of years ago.They aren't anything to worry about hun,over in a couple of minutes.Can be a little uncomfortable but not painful.Usually the nurse that performs the routine smears at the doctors.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->