Smelly washing machine :S

Frooty

Reaction score
As the title says really my washing machine reaks and making the clothes smell too, smells like potatoes lol. I've tried putting it on a hot wash without anything and with detergent and its still the same even tried pouring mr muscle down the kitchen sink hole but no luck :(. Any suggestions?

Are you using bio or non-bio? I was advised to do a 60 wash with a bio tablet (because it's harsher) once a month to help keep it clean. Not sure how true that is but so far I've not had any problems xx

I do a empty cycle with a little bleach to keep it fresh x

mines doin this too, my manual things says to do a 90 wash with detergent so i did but the smell is back again after about a month :(

I did it with bleach about a week ago and smell is back its weird

Have you checked if the filter is clogged hun x

Yeh give the filter a clean it usually does wonders!

Also, is Calgon for washing machines, or is that dishwashers?

We use calgon but i *think* it is for limescale prevention? try emptying the filter that is what made mine smell a couple of months ago. I also ran a 90 degree wash with some ariel bio powder to clean the pipes x

I found tablets at Tesco last week to give your machine a deep clean. I just used to use soda crystals on a hot wash once a month or so, but I've got these to try now :) I hope they're good, my machine ends up clogged at lot! Bloody Servis lol

how do u clean the filter? i think my machine is fitted with a self cleaning filter x

I'm not sure how to explain this lol but you know the rubber rim that has a flap that you can pull backwards just inside the washing machine, after the door. Well usually water collects in there and can smell pretty rank. MIL's washing machine stinks because of this however my mum always puts a tea towel or something that needs to be washed anyway in that rim to soak up the wayer after every cycle and her washing machine never stinks.

Does this Make sense, I'm rubbish at explaining what I mean!

Take out the drawer, give it a good clean & clean under it, you'd be surprised with the nasty black & yellow stuff you find under the drawer :sick:. Then clean the rubber part. Even if you do an empty wash, those parts still have stuff stuck in them.

get a bag of soda crystals out of tesco , they are like £1 , throw a cup full in drum and put it in a wash, I have to do it every so often as I wash cloth nappies and sometimes it can smell after a while. Never off in our house the washing machine. Cleans pipes out to.

I'm not sure how to explain this lol but you know the rubber rim that has a flap that you can pull backwards just inside the washing machine, after the door. Well usually water collects in there and can smell pretty rank. MIL's washing machine stinks because of this however my mum always puts a tea towel or something that needs to be washed anyway in that rim to soak up the wayer after every cycle and her washing machine never stinks.

Does this Make sense, I'm rubbish at explaining what I mean!

This :thumbup:. I didn't read your post before replying. This is the rubber part I mentioned in my post. You explained it better than me :haha:

how do u clean the filter? i think my machine is fitted with a self cleaning filter x

Usually there's like a panel at the bottom on the front of the machine. If you prise it off there will be a round plug type thing which if you unscrew it that's the filter. It collects a whole load of ming :sick: It needs to be emptied out every so often, or it builds up and causes issues :flow:

Before unscrewing it though make sure there's an old towel or something down as rank water will come out.

I got told today if you put to much in one wash it makes it smell too! I dont know how true that is, but i cram my washer full and my stuff has been coming out smelling abit weird x

I got told today if you put to much in one wash it makes it smell too! I dont know how true that is, but i cram my washer full and my stuff has been coming out smelling abit weird x

I used to cram it full lol never had a smell problem but found some things didn't get properly clean. I now make a conscious effort to put a couple less things in and have to re-wash far less :lol:

I cleaned the filter, drawer and rubber thing. I think its true if u load it too much it smells cus i washed my sons clothes and theyre obviously thinner and they smell ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->