Snip snip snip!

PeanutBean

Mumma to B & I
Reaction score
So I am terrified about the spending announcement tomorrow. I work for a charity that is 50% government funded and my DH is in libraries who are already facing cuts. My charity is science based and we've already had a very bleak picture of science funding. We're already losing all our tax credits and expecting DH to have to give up work or at least seriously rethink it after my next mat leave. It's just terrifying.

Anyone else bricking it?

Me...I'm not 100% sure why yet but I am.. IMO their cutting things in all the wrong places....But give a man some power and he will go mad!! !

He should do. He's a debt to pay to the devil.

So is anyone else still terrified? We have now to wait and see if DH will be one of the half a million public sector workers losing their job. :(

My DH lost his job (in the private sector) thanks to public sector cuts back in August .... he's still unemployed :shrug: :nope:

Thankfully my job is recession proof so we don't have to worry about that, but I'm just appalled by the latest round of cuts - it's just going to lead to complete economic meltdown imho .... the economics just don't make sense :shrug::cry:

Cut loads of public sector jobs + the knock on effect in the private sector = a huge increase in benefits to be paid out AND less tax income (income tax, customs & excise on imports and VAT), so how much is actually going to be saved? :wacko:

This government is basically inexperienced and thick. My mum said yesterday that if she were to sum them up in a few words it would be "second rate minds", I think that about says it all! It's scary reading the comparisons to the 20s. Another con-lib coalition doing the exact same thing and leading us into the great depression. I just remain dumbfounded that this unelected government with no mandate for doing any of these things (especially given that the majority voted, or thought they were voting, for a progressive change be it with Labour or Lib Dem) can destroy our entire society and ecnomoy in one fell swoop even beyond Thatcher's destruction. It is mindboggling!

DH is public sector (libraries) so now we wait to see how the axe will fall with the buck passed locally to the councils and the likes. Cowardly government. I'm in science and we are frozen so while we wait to see what exactly will happen with our own budget things look optimistic for this year, for us anyway. Not that it affects me as I'll be on leave anyway! But the childcare element of the tax credits has been reduced, or so I've read, so even if DH keeps his job he will probably have to give it up when I return to work. We're just hoping he will be able to to earn a living as a self-employed writer by then. Though who will be able to afford to buy books I don't know...

I thought this was a good breakdown, interesting to see what the comparative budgets are too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11569160

The estimated saving from public sector wages is £12bn .... the estimated cost to the country in lost income tax, lost NI and increased benefit payouts to all of those made unemployed is £10bn ....

This isn't about saving money or decreasing the national debt - it's about making an ideological point :nope:

I remember the last Tory Govt all too well .... 16% interest rates, unemployment sky high, re-posession of houses at an all time high :cry: That was when the 'me, me, me' attitude of our society began and things really started to go downhill in this country in terms of caring about others.

Already I can see the same old Tory arrogance, the same belief that the population are stupid and can't work out that they are being conned ... and OMG! the same fat cat 'I'm alright Jack' smugness :growlmad::growlmad: Just look at George Osbourne's face in every photograph - Don't you just want to wipe that smirk off of his face ?

Like you I cannot believe that a Gov't with no elected majority is destroying our society and economy like this - and so quickly. I truly am scared of where all this is going to lead :( :(

What I can't understand is why so many people still really believe that the global economic crisis was Labour's fault and why they are all accepting the ridiculous notion that it is reasonable to get less money from the banks than the middle-upper class child benefit cuts. The whole thing is bananas and I wonder if most of the population IS stupid because otherwise how could they be so duped?

And I hear people everywhere "oh the cuts aren't affecting me". What a nasty selfish attitude! And they are even more stupid because of course they will be affected, everyone will be except those responsible for the crisis.

What a terrible time to be a medium earner in a young family. Government calculations show that the richest will pay the most (in what terms they measure that I don't know) but this is only by including Labour's 50% tax rate into their own spending review. After that their figures apparently show earners of about £19k being next hardest hit (that'll be our family then). Funnily enough the same ones who were hit with the loss of the 10% tax rate. The IFS I understand ate up the review and spat it out yelling "unfair!". And the notion that the private sector will magically fill the gap and what, mop up the £500,000 public sector jobs going, plus the existing, what is it, 2.4million unemployed? The estimates are that this will lead to a million job losses so that must be 500,000 from the private sector too.

I am so furious. I would love to wipe the smirk of George's rich, fat face, with steel wool and caustic soda. I'd like to wash his mouth out with bleach.

My mum was also saying yesterday when we were chatting that I think it was during the strikes in the 20s the richies ended up volutneering to do the nasty jobs of the strikers, like working on the railways, and by the end they came out with their eyes open about the poverty and squalor the poor lived in, the terrible working conditions they faced. That's what we need again. Dave and Gideon have not a bloody clue what it is like to be a normal person in this country. Their ideological moves are going to be worse than the 80s. Who even thought that could be possible? :cry:

I think we'll survive despite the con-dem govt, but I think it's going to be bloody hard. It's nothing to do with the deficit and everything to do with ideology. I also remember the tories last time - and the poll tax riots. The question is are we going to do anything about it? Are we going to get off our backsides and protest or are we just going to moan?

We'll protest just as soon as anything happens outside of bloody London! Can hardly afford to cart my husband and son down there and pregnant too! I was thinking this morning that it was time to write to our shitty MP who as it happens was of the Lib Dem party that negotiated the coalition deal though he is an utter nobody now. DH says if I get the figures together he'll write the letter so that's easier. It'll be a big 'un stating exactly the sort of people we are and exactly how we will be forced into unemployment directly because of the welfare cuts. Plus the things we'd like to see in their place namely bank and corporation taxes. I'm so cross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->