So annoyed with my Mum

Feathers

Mum of 2
Reaction score
Me and OH have struggled with names since we found out we were having a baby boy as all of the name we like are girls. However we managed to make a short list and after testing a few out for a few weeks each, we've finally made a decision that we both like.

Last pregnancy when we had decided we shared our baby name with close family with no issues at all, so we decided to do the same again. Both sides knew we had struggled with boys names. My Mum however said..."well you have time to change your mind" which I thought was rather rude but we decided to let it go, despite her incredulous tone. It is now seven weeks on and in a phone conversation today she casually chimes up with "Are you still set on using that name?" To which I replied we were and we both really liked it. My Mum then proceeds to tell me that "it doesn't matter but she can't stand the name, it is so common, I just hate the sound of it...any name that begins with that letter (We're calling him Jayce BTW). I was kind of quiet and then said that well it is our baby so our decision and we love the name so she will just have to live with it, that it's not her baby to name. She agreed it wasn't and then carried on moaning about the name we had chosen until I ended the phone call.

Im just feeling really...annoyed and hurt I mean yes she might not love it, but I never asked her for her opinion on it, just said that was what we had decided. Stating she dislikes it once is enough but to harp on about it is just rude. Has anyone else been through this? I'm so reluctant to go through the business of finding another name just so she can be happy (she hated all the names on our baby list) and I refuse to let her pick a name for our child. I can't believe she wouldn't just suck it up and accept defeat gracefully.

Your baby, your name! We have decided to tell no one our names until he/she is born as I know my mum would have her opinion, like she does with everything and I'd rather not hear it.
Perhaps there is a longer version of the name that could be his official name, then you shorten it to Jayce? That might shut her up. But if not,I wouldn't worry. He will be your little boy and no one else's.

My mum is the same. Actually, possibly worse. And its not just her either, its my dad, sister, aunts and uncles. They all hate our baby name, and every time I phone them the conversation inevitably comes back to whether I am still set on the name proceeded by a number of other name suggestions.

With my first my mum was the same. She said she hated Sophia so much she would only call her by her middle name, Grace. Well now she's here she calls her Sophia, and has never mentioned her name being ugly again :)

I knew our families would do that So we didn't share last time. This time we haven't picked one yet lol.

Noone liked the name we chose for our daughter, my mum sounded exactly like yours has been! Even the midwife who delivered her told me to my face she didn't like it ("Oh no, I don't like that at all! Why are you giving her an Italian name when you are English?" :grr:).

But now she is here everyone tells me how much it suits her and how they can't imagine her being called by anything else. Stick to your guns if you love that name, you'll be amazed by how quick they come round when Jayce is here! :flower:

I'd give her a couple of days to think it over and realise she's been rude, then if she hasn't called to apologise I'd call her and tell her that you are hurt by her reaction and that since you've settled on the name Jayce you don't want to hear any more about it. It's crazy how many people on here have parents hwo think they have a say in naming their grandchildren!

Phoenix is right. They will come round to the name. My son is called Ossian. My ex mil hated the name. She finally came around and can't imagine him being called anything else.

Exactly the reason we didn't tell anyone. You can never please people but the point with this is you don't need to please people as long as you and oh are both happy with it.

I've got the giggles - Phoenix I have your daughters name :) I can't believe your midwife said that. More because its so rude rather than it being my name.

Your baby, your choice! But i'm sure she'll come round to it.

She'll get over it. No matter what, don't cave to her. Jayce is a perfectly nice name, so don't feel bad about it at all.

A friend advised me to not tell anyone when we found a name for this reason, but we did anyway. DH put it on FB :haha:

A few people like it, most people hate it. We couldn't care less. My mom gives me some grief here and there but really she is just joking, she doesn't like the name but also doesn't think she has a say in it so the teasing is all in good fun. And she knows I don't care if she cares so no hard feelings. MIL on the other hand REALLY doesn't like it, she was giving DH other suggestions and let him know we had time to reconsider which of course doesn't phase at all so the more she doesn't like it the more we will just laugh and like it more.

Thanks guys. I feel a little calmer about it. Having spoken with OH we're just going with the name we like and if she starts again on about it I'll just remind her this is our baby and not hers, that we appreciate it is not a name she wants and to please keep her opinion to herself as it is hurtful and upsetting to hear her going on about it when it is not her decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->