so tired feel like giving up!

wantanother83

mom of 3 boys
Reaction score
my lo is almost 6weeks old, he has had me awake the last few night constantly wanting to feed, when he doze's off i try settle him in his cot but he wakes back up and crys for a feed. by 5am i give up and iv ended up putting him in the bed beside me and just let him feed while i get a nap. i dont want to co-sleep, im a deep sleeper and am scared id squash him. im worried he isnt getting satisfied with my milk with his constant need to feed.
im thinkn of switchn to formula

Sorry you are having a hard time. It is still early days and babies that young like to feed constantly to build up supply and then they will (hopefully) settle down. It is all pretty normal although very exhausting!

As for co-sleeping, when breastfeeding you don't go into as deep sleep as if not feeding. Your body is in tune with the baby so if done correctly it is safe. It is a good way to get some rest even if you just do it for naps.

Try to hang in there as it will get easier. 6 weeks is a typical growth spurt time as well, they change so quickly so things may improve soon.

Good luck!

There's a huge growth spurt at around 6 weeks. Hang in there, once it's over things should be a lot easier. Keep doing what you're doing, baby needs to keep suckling in order to up your supply. Take any opportunity you can for rest and ignore the housework for now :hugs:

I had the same problem a week ago. My LO wouldn't give me a moments peace I ended up phoning my sister balling my eyes out because I was exhausted and sore. She introduced a dummy. I absolutely hate dummys and never wanted to use one but she took LO away and came back within a few minutes later with him latched on to it asleep and he slept for 3 hrs. He just wanted to feed for comfort. I no its controversial but u may want to try before you give up. My LO never keeps it in his mouth for long, just enough to settle him and then he spits it out. Good luck

my babies 4 weeks and im going through the same thing, i have no choice but to co-sleep otherwise i would never sleep! things should get better, dont give up!

I feel for you so much. Those first couple of months are so hard. If he's pooing and weeing fine and gaining weight then he's definitely getting enough milk. He's cluster feeding which his completely normal, hard work but normal. He is probably going through a growth spurt.

I co-slept. It wasn't intentional but it worked better that way. It can be done very safely if you follow the guidelines. You've done a super job to get to six weeks. It will get so much easier x

There is a growth spurt at 6 weeks so that could be the reason for the constant feeding. Most people say the first 4 to 6 weeks are the hardest and then it gets easier. Try not to give up as things could get easier soon

You may want to look into one of those co-sleeper things that attaches to the side of your bed. That way baby is close to you, but he's in his own safe place where you can't roll onto him.

My baby sleeps way better and longer when she's next to me, and the added benefit is I don't have to get up and down every time she wants to eat. There are going to be quite a few growth spurts between now and weaning, where baby will want to eat more, plus other weird times like colds and teething where babies wake up more often. Mine got a cold at 9 weeks, and was up ever hour or 2 throughout the night wanting to nurse; I think it actually helped her clear her nose to do it. Co-sleeping just makes sense to me to help us both get the most sleep possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->