So why is 35 the "magic" number?

R

robinator

I always thought it was a medical thing, but yesterday my doc told me it's something the insurance companies came up with!! Up until the age of 35, the risks are less than the benefits (for lack of better wording), and at 35, the two are equal. Huh.

At least it means that now my insurance should cover most, if not all, of the old lady testing I'll need. :thumbup:

I guess being in the states the insurance is quite a prominant thing.

Here in the UK, 35 is the big number too, but that certainly won't be insurance driven, there has to be medical science behind it, but in this day in age, with so many women having babies later in life, surely it's time a different view point was taken on it?

I haven't encountered any problems from anyone regarding my age. Nobody professional or otherwise have raised it as an issue. I am just happy to have finally reached this point.

conceived on my 35th birthday... lol.... finger crossed baby not born with 4 heads and 18 toes!! xx

We conceived at some point over the xmas and new year shagfest lol. We had irish coffees every day and I swear that's the magic.

We may call baby Bells (a Scottish whisky for those overseas) :rofl:

Being over 35 is considered a 'risk' factor in our maternity notes in the UK. It can make the difference between being under consultant care or not (usually in addition to at least 2 other factors). Have been told by my midwife and GP in both pregnancies that they personally dont consider it a risk factor as it is so common for women to start their families at 35+ these days... This is my second pregnancy over 35 and my age has never been an issue...

I'm 40 and no one has dared call me an "older mother" yet!

Pip x

I've been called a geriatric mother at A&E when I was admitted with my potty heart a couple of months back.

Just as well I have a good sense of humour really :rofl:

My doctor said i should not consider HB because of my age i said i have only just 40 he said i was in the geriatric range:wacko:
So were bypassing the doc as my OH says we ARE having a HB with an independant midwife:happydance:

Years ago, before wonderful medical technology... 35 was the age to stop TTC or to just slow down due to environmental exposures, what our bodies are exposed to during our reproductive years... and blah blah bhal...lol... Now, we know to eat healthier, take our vitamins, exercise and take better care of ourselves. Because of that "older" mentality, it still carries on today. But... I'm breaking the mold... 36 years old and going to be a 1st time biological mom to a bundle of joy in November!!!

My own mother likes to refer to me as an 'elderly mom' :haha:

But the health professionals don't seem to be that fussed about my age and my consultant actually commented that I was in better shape than some of the young moms she'd seen :happydance:

I'm 38 and this is my first pregnancy. My midwife has put quite clearly in my notes that I am low risk. I just assumed they would put me as high risk due to all the hype of being over 35 and pregnant!

when I first saw a midwife when pregnant with my son 2 years ago, I asked if my age was an issue (I was 34 when he was conceived but had turned 35 by the time I saw a mw), and she said no, they didn't consider 35 old these days. I like to think they judge women to be high-risk on merit not on their birthdate. :lol: this time round nobody has said anything. I think my very straightforward pregnancy and birth last time automatically makes me low risk.

so far as declining fertility goes, I feel we've been lucky. but I did and do take good care of myself, and also we planned everything (I temped to be more certain of the right time and that I was actually ovulating). I was too wary to take it for granted and just dtd when we wanted! I do think it has been a factor in our apparantly decent fertility, just knowing the right times.

I also thought that 35 was the "magic" age - but my doctor has never mentioned my age at all (was 35 in April and littl'un is due in July) I have other issues that make me high risk, but age isn't one of them!

I've been told my a friend who is a medical student that 35 is based on the graph of risk factors to age; at 35 the line begins to incline at a slightly sharper rate; there's a more dramatic rise at 40. But to say that statistically pregnancies at 35 are slightly riskier than at 34 is not to say that every 35+ mom is high risk, and most doctors and midwives will judge based on the individual. I'm still classed as low risk at 35, and my nuchal screening test came back with my risk factors equivalent of a 20 year old.

I've been called a geriatric mother at A&E

WHAT?!?!!? :rofl:

Yup!!! :rofl:

I was admitted to A&E with my heart (I have atrial fibrillation) and when I told the nurse I was pregnant her exact words were "oh, another geriatric mother to be" She was laughing when she said this :rofl: but I did think, hmm, just as well I'm not sensitive about the subject eh? :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->