Soley BF, baby has reflux and possible food allergy .... Help please !

LoveMy2Boys2

Reaction score
Hi mommies! My little guy is 9 days old.... He has reflux (arching back/screaming/vomitting) and the past few days developed hives all over his body, some even look a bit like blisters ..... I was feeding 10-15 min on each side and he was vomiting up almost as much as he'd get in.... I cut back 5-10 min on each side, not much difference in vomiting..... The hives started about 4 days ago or so (well that's when he had enough for me to notice them) and the past 24 hrs he hasn't wanted more than 5/6 min of breastfeeding every 2-3 hrs.....

Is this enough? Or is his loss of appetite an alarm for something more concerning? I am starting the elimination diet with dairy.... Today is first day.... My 2nd son had severe Gerd/milk allergies.... Wondering if he will follow his big brother :/

Anyone else experience similar situation? Any advice on the 5/6min of BF ?

I'm so sad for him:( and so frustrated I don't know what's going on:(
TIA!!

I think you need advice from a professional. I'd want to know it was definitely an allergy and not an illness of some kind.

Thanks, I did call the dr this morning, we have an apt for Monday....she didnt seem so concerned and I was left feeling uneasy.... She said to call back if he's not eating well through the night ....

I agree with seeing a dr for sure :hugs: I know it may well be an unpopular suggestion on a bf page- but if you really feel he isn't eating, you could try some formula on the weekend? We were giving it in a syringe in hospital, which you could try if you don't want to risk nipple confusion. And if you suspect food allergy go for a hypoallergenic variety.

Good luck. Let us know what the dr says.

Sometimes baby's eat less than other times. They are just like us adults. Good luck at the doctor's appointment. I hope w/e it is he has that its treatable! Poor little thing :hugs:.

Dairy is usually the onset of reflux but wont fully leave your body until 6 weeks, but you should hopefully see progress soon.
Do you have the medication for reflux?
For us it was also tomatoes and potatoes (shade foods) it is very much trail and error.
Start doing a food diary now and write his responses of that day.

Thanks so much!! Sorry to just get back... It's been exhausting to say the least.... I have been dairy free for over two wks now , so far his hives have subsided (only small flare ups now where as before he was covered), and the vomitting is much less also..... He has been on reflux meds for about 2 wks now too.... He seemed to have gotten much relief at first but the past 3 nights have been hell for him and it breaks my heart, wondering if he needs to up the dose on reflux meds or if its something else I'm eating? I also try to stay away from soy also.... I know dairy and soy go hand in hand when it comes to allergies.....
We have an apt with the allergist tomorrow. I'm still not able to pump much , it takes me a couple sessions to barely make a bottle, and it seems when I pump in between feedings I don't have enough to fill him up for the next feeding and usually have to give him what I ended up pumping.... It's so difficult :( I feel stranded at home and it's difficult not getting a break at night, wish I could just pump a bottle or two per day ! My other son was on Neocate infant formula (Rx formula) it's for milk allergy and severe reflux, so we are seeing the allergist to get a script for that..... So I can at least have a SAFE back up supplement when needed....
I also found blood in his stools (just once) and that's when I immediately cut out dairy from my diet.... I haven't noticed blood since then....

I am so sorry he is still having a hard time :hugs:. I really hope things get better for both of you asap. Oh and don't forget to mention that he had blood in his stool. I am not sure if that is normal with allergies or not but it certainly does not sound pleasant :(. Poor little baby.

Thank you , well.... The allergist said he has severe dairy allergy and was sent to the hospital that night too... He is now on prescription Neocate infant formula , and they want him strictly on the formula ..... Even though I have been off dairy myself for almost 3 wks now, they said for his case the slightest bit lingering is still causing him severe pain :( breaks my heart ..... I'm also really down about being forced to stop bf..... They told me I can still pump to keep my supply incase he has a turn around but I have to be extremely careful to real all labels to avoid all dairy and soy .... It puts a whole lot of pressure on me, one wrong move and he's going to be a mess in severe pain for weeks again.....
So I have still been avoiding dairy/soy and pumping a couple times a day, but I think I'm just in denial, I know I can't ever bf again :( he's just my last baby and I don't want to give up.... But I feel selfish to ever try again..... I have to do what's best for him.....

I am glad they figured out what was wrong. So sorry you have to stop breastfeeding though :hugs:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->