Solid foods and a small baby

Foxybabyhg3

Mamma to Skylar TTC #2
Reaction score
My DD is nearly 12 months (9 adjusted), she's been weaning very well and will likes most things. But I don't know if I'm expecting her to eat more than she is. She's about 14lb now (in 3-6 clothes!).

This is a typical day

6:30am 4oz bottle
9am Breakfast: about 4tbsp porridge (the Heinz flavoured ones) or half a slice of toast or French toast
11am 5oz bottle
1:30pm not really got lunches yet, but she has a petit filous yogurt, a few pieces of my fruit (tend to share my orange, apple & banana and salad-I'm on slimming world lol) or she has a slice of brown bread with Dairylea on.
3pm 5-7oz bottle
4pm A couple of Organix tomato wheels & sweet corn wheels and a Heinz baby biscotti
5:30pm About a quarter of a jar of Heinz baby or half a Hipp ( smaller jar) or if she's having what we're having she'll eat when DH comes in at 6pm, she'll have like a potato, a strip of chicken or fish and a couple of pieces of veg. But she'll sometimes not finish all of it
8pm 5oz bottle & bed

Is this enough for her size rather than weight? She sometimes wakes up at 1am and has another 3oz. She also has some water to drink through the day. Is she not having enough as she sometimes wakes at 1am?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My LO is 7 months and weighs as much as your LO, and I think it sounds like she is doing great! Seems like she is consistently eating throughout the day.

At this point, I aim for three "meals" around her feeds of about 26-32oz per day. A meal can be simple, like this morning I toasted a piece of veggie bread and added unsalted butter and cut it into strips. She also might have a bit of yogurt and a banana, fruit sauce, etc. whatever she wants. Lunch might be a meat and veggie, more fruit or starch, etc. I have plastic non-sippy cups and give her sips of water throughout the meal as well, which she really likes. She doesn't eat all of what I prepare for her, but I still offer it in between her milk feeds.

I honestly think that as long as you are consistently offering and they are eating/drinking enough to grow, all should be well.

I know for me I have been almost obsessed with getting my daughter's weight up. She's small, but also petite. It's tough at times, but I honestly feel like solids have helped to increase her formula intake (which has been needed), so that's been great!

Best of luck to you :D

Thanks for the tips. I know what you mean with the weight obsession. I was very obsessed until recently when I thought, maybe she was just meant to be petite whether she was prem or not

I'd focus more on whether or not she was gaining weight steadily, if she is then you're obviously doing well :) It must be difficult to know when you've got a smaller or larger baby! If you feel like you should be feeding her more it wouldn't hurt to offer it, if she doesn't want it she won't eat it.
The variety of food she eats looks pretty good for her age. The only thing I would say is personally petite filous are something I avoid like the plague, they're so sugary. I gave Lucas greek yogurt with fruit in there when he was little which was good for getting more calories in him aswell as fruit!

I've actually just bought the Rachel's fromage frais instead this week as I though maybe the petit filous was too sugary. I've been obsessed with weight gain since she came home and she's gone from under the 0.4th to the 2nd, so still below the 10th but she's gaining. She'll be weighed again next month so hopefully she'll still be gaining. I was just worried she wasn't eating enough for her to gain.

I know what you mean, we had a minor blip where Lucas was losing weight instead of gaining (just him being awkward lol) and you end up worrying that you're under feeding, then you increase food intake and worry that you're over feeding haha. I'd just follow her lead, if she doesn't want to eat something offer it again in a little while. Sounds like it's going well though :)

Thanks. She always wants what we've got lol. She had her pasta & veggie dinner then saw us with gammon (didn't want her to have this as a bit salty) and she started shouting so I had to give her one of my jersey royal potatoes! She thought she was missing out.

My LO was a preemie, he was 14.5 lbs at his 12 month appointment too. He has been a little slow on the food uptake. He wasn't eating that much solids at 12 months. However, he was diagnosed with iron deficient anemia at his 12 month, and since we started iron supplements, he gained over 2lbs in by 14 months. He is in 6-9 month clothes, but outgrowing them. Some he can't wear, and he's already wearing 9-12 month clothes. We spent THE LONGEST in 3-6 month clothes, those fit for months and months and months!

We do BLW though, he eats whatever we are eating so I can't tell you exactly what a day would look like. I'll do yesterday:

7:30 - up, changed, off to Mass
9:00 - Nursed in Mass
10:00 - Yogurt (3oz, full fat greek yogurt strawberry & honey) and Apple slices
between 10 and 6pm - nursing and crackers and cheese. He slept while we were having lunch (extra long nap, not complaining!)
6:00 - homemade sausage pizza
Nursing after, and all night

I just realized he slept through lunch and only got two meals yesterday...oh well, he is doing fine!

Weird day today. She missed her late afternoon nap so was really cranky, she had a yogurt (Ella's kitchen) but was too tired to eat the toad in the hole. I made a tiny one with 2 wee willy winkie sausages, her dinner ended up in the cat. She loves French toast at the moment and can eat a whole slice of that at breakfast. We eat out every Saturday breakfast and can polish off quite a bit at that.
I'm starting to introduce lunch every day now and try and reduce a bottle. Maybe the one at 11am so she'll eat more lunch? Well, that's the theory :haha:

Can I ask at what age did you wean and was she sitting by herself? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->