solids causing BD constipation :(

ewoklets

SAHM to BD :)
Reaction score
my poor BD, she's developed constipation as a result of starting solids. she's been eating them very well for a few weeks now but over the past couple of days i begun to have this feeling that she was getting constipated. sure enough today she really strained to do a poo and got a bit upset (very unlike her) and it was the texture of play doh (normally it's firm but not like this). it was much smaller than she usually does too. i took her to the GP and he advised to cut back on the solids and use prune juice to help her out until her poos return to normal. i've done my research and apparently rice cereal, applesauce/puree, bananas, rice and carrots really bind a baby's bowel up so i will be avoiding those for a while.

i have decided to cut out the rice cereal she normally has for breakfast and replace it with pear puree with a teaspoon of prune juice mixed in. i plan on giving her pureed vegies for lunch and cutting out dinner until her bowel movements return to normal, then i will very slowly increase the amount of solids again. i can't help worrying about this, i'm a paranoid over protective mum

has anyone else's baby gotten constipated when starting solids? what did you do?

Hi hun

Constipation is quite normal when babies start to eat solids , good ways to help is NO rice lol give her oatmeal cereal instead and lots of water or juice (no sugar) to drink , they need the extra fluids .

Try to not give to much foods like banana and oranges as this can constipate them

Hi hun

Constipation is quite normal when babies start to eat solids , good ways to help is NO rice lol give her oatmeal cereal instead and lots of water or juice (no sugar) to drink , they need the extra fluids .

Try to not give to much foods like banana and oranges as this can constipate them

yes i've cut out the rice cereal BD was having each morning for breakfast and am sticking to pureed pears and puree vegies for now (but no carrot or potato, just sweet potato, pumpkin, parsnip, peas, broccoli, etc). i'm trying to encourage her to drink water but she only drinks a tiny bit so i am breastfeeding as much as possible and am syringeing (sp?) prune juice directly into her mouth twice daily until her poos return to normal.

can't help feeling worried about my poor BD, constipation must be so uncomfortable AND she's teething at the moment as well :(

Thanks! This is good advice. Tristan has just started solids and has had this constipation problem as well - he also got very upset doing a poo and it came out quite thick as well. I felt so sorry for him.

My friend said that apricots (pureed) is good as well at helping to stop constipation. My mum and MIL also recommended giving him some water as well - this is a bit difficult as Tristan refuses a bottle and so I am gradually introducing a baby cup - cue lots of wet tops!

Constipation is really normal when you start weaning. I try to balance Hannah's diet with non-constipating foods (especially on days that I know I've given her something that causes her constipation). Oatmeal cereal has a slightly laxative effect so that's an alternative to rice. Also pears/peaches/peas/prunes are good to help relieve constipation as well as watered down apple and prune juice.

Ellie gets bunged up to. Ive made sure she has loads to drink even inbetween meals ill offer her a sip and if she wont take water ill give her whatever it takes to help her orange juice watered down a bit seems to really help along with prune juice. I also give her the cereals that you mix with water rather than milk which seems to have helped loads to. Shes been fine now for a good few days thankfully its awful to see them suffer!

well the prune juice did the trick! BD just did a MASSIVE poop and it was back to normal in texture. she didn't want to eat any solids today so instead i just gave her the prune juice in the syringe (about 3-4mls) and several hours later, the mother of all poos appeared in her nappy.

i'm still going to avoid the rice cereal from now on but maybe in a month or two when she is more used to solids i will very slowly re-introduce it.

Id say give her oatmeal cereal instead of rice , this way you can avoid the constipation part all over again ..its very important for babies to have grains in there diet IE :oatmeal for now

Id say give her oatmeal cereal instead of rice , this way you can avoid the constipation part all over again ..its very important for babies to have grains in there diet IE :oatmeal for now

do i just buy plain oatmeal? because i can' find one designed specifically for babies.

no I wouldn't buy plain oatmeal, they make baby oatmeal here (Heinz and Nestle)

I'd say plain oatmeal is ok, as long as there are no added ingredients apart from oat. Grind it into a fine flour before making it.

I'd say plain oatmeal is ok, as long as there are no added ingredients apart from oat. Grind it into a fine flour before making it.

yep that's what i did. i bought 100% plain rolled oats and used my blender to grind them into a fine powder. i just added boiled water to make the oatmeal into a paste, waited for it to cool and offered BD some. she had a couple of spoonfuls but she is teething right now so the past few days she's been refusing most of her solids so i was surprised she ate any. i'm glad i can use oatmeal instead of rice cereal, i didn't like the idea of giving her only fruit and vegies.

no I wouldn't buy plain oatmeal, they make baby oatmeal here (Heinz and Nestle)

well i tell a lie, we DO have baby oatmeal here in nz but one of the main ingredients is rice cereal! silly eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->