Some advice for my cousin if you dont mind

Tasha360

Mum to four 6 and under
Reaction score
Hi girls havent been in this section before, ive just been looking around and your babies are all beautiful. My cousin had her baby girl this morning by emergency section. She was 34 weeks 4 days but her baby girl only weighed 2lbs 15oz. The placenta had stopped functioning properly and baby was in distress. Baby is breathing by herself and is taking every other feed by bottle. They havent said however how long they expect to keep her in. I just wondered if any of you ladies had any idea. My cousin hasnt really been told anything and has only been able to see the baby once very quickly.
Thanks in advance ladies xx

Hi and congratulations to your cousin on the birth of her LO.

All babies are different but as a rough guide they usually go by around their due date for getting home. Sophie was born at 27 weeks and got home 6 days before her due date.

That's great that she is breathing on her own and taking some feeds by bottle - breathing and feeding are two of the main things they need to crack before getting home. Sophie didn't even get to try feeding till 36 weeks and she was on CPAP till 37 weeks.

There is lots of support available in this section - you have come to the right place :)

Hi.

All babies are different, and thats why they won't give her any idea of how long she'll be kept there as they don't know. We were told one day and Molly was home the next.

Molly was born at 29 weeks weighing 2lb 4oz, and came home exactly a month before her due date. She was on and off CPAP for a couple of weeks, and came home on oxygen for a month. I wan't able to see Molly until 26 hours after I had her, and even then I was a bit spaced out with all the drugs :wacko:. It's difficult, but worth it all in the end x

Gaby was born at 34 weeks but had stopped growing at 32 weeks, luckily she was already huge for dates at 4lb 8oz. I didn't get to see her for a couple of days as I was so ill, was such a difficult time. Gaby had no bother with her breathing at all but we tried to breastfeed for 2 weeks before giving up and giving her ebm in a bottle which she took straight away and we were allowed home. That was the 25th of Feb and she was due 26th March.

my 2 prems came home 2 weeks before due date and 4 weeks before due date.I think in general you can expect to wait until at least 36 weeks but it depends on the baby and the hospital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->