some day :) fostering?

My mum and dad foster and have done for the last 18 years and plan to do so for at least another 5.

We have had numerous children through the doors, it can be heartbreaking and rewarding at the same time, a couple of long term girls are now grown up and regard my family as theirs, to the point they have changed their names and are totally my sisters. Another still visits on a regular basis.

Some of the short term younger children have been returned to their parents, another has been adopted and the 2 she has now are currently nearing the end of their adoption process, so should be placed by the end of the summer.

The only thing my dad would say is don't expect it all to be wonderful, as you will be disappointed, but its a great experience.

During the majority of the time my mum fostered she worked full-time (nights), although now she no longer does so.

I work as a fostering social worker so feel free to ask me any questions. :)

Now that my own children are grown and I only have one left at home, we are seriously considering fostering. I have a close friend who fosters mainly parents and babies on temporary placements and a neighbour who has two long term foster children from different families, so we have a pretty good idea of the commitment involved both in care and paperwork etc.

Before we start the application process though it would be really helpful if you could give us some initial feedback on whether our circumstances would be acceptable:

We have been married for 10 years, together for 14. I have 3 children from my first marriage - two of whom (aged 21 and 19 respectively) no longer live at home. The youngest is a 17 year old boy who is still in full time education and who lives with us. I have always worked full time and my husband, who is the children's stepfather, was the stay at home parent from 13 years ago - when the youngest was 4. He is fully CRB checked incidentally.

We would like to keep this arrangement with a foster child - DH being the full time carer with me as a working mother .... I know that there are obviously a great many other factors that will be considered but, in principle, would that be acceptable?

Thank you so much for offering to advise :D :hugs:

Awww - Thanks Rome :hugs:

We are interested in taking older children - from 11 upwards - as teens are so hard to place because they are often so challenging, and maybe parent & child placements. We figure that we survived our own teens, who were hardly easy LOL, and so we have realistic expectations and a lot to offer, and of course we've had the experience of parenting a teen Mum :D

Our 3 are really enthusiastic about the idea which is fab - even though the girls don't live at home any more they are often here and have friends who have foster 'siblings' so they are realistic about the challenges too :happydance:

was a foster child from the age of 9 till i was 17- happy to answer any questions & to give you a point of view from someone who has been fostered. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->