some reassurance PLEASE!!!!

Dionne

Reaction score
Today is the day the dummy has gone!

I cant only give her it for bed as she just screams all day for it. so its cold turky. she starts nursery in 3 weeks so i think i need to let her grow up and no longer be a baby https://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif

she had her dummy last night but today i have took every dummy Harleys too https://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/icon_sad.gif
they are all gone
i feel bad i dont want to take her dummy she loves it it dont bother me but i dont want her having speech problems and braces all because i m lazy!

she is very very tired now but will not sleep! she is head butting walls pulling her hair and biting her cot screaming "DUMMY DUMMY" "I HATE YOU"
my mum and kris think i am being cruel nd she is still "a baby"

am i doing the best thing?????????? :cry:

I dont think youre being cruel Dionne :hugs: stick with it and be strong

I Put Her In Her Cot T 10.15am Its Now 11.30am And She Is Still Going Crazy!!!

God I Feel Bad

its there a toy or soft toy something instead.
I dont think you are being cruel - some people have done it this way and
Given the dummy to the dummy fairy coz you are a big girl now... i.e she goes to sleep with the dummy and wakes up - the dummies have all gone and something else is left in its place - like a nice doll etc.

Good luck - thats one reason why Ewan was never given a dummy.

Dior still dont comunicate very well. she would have no idea what i was on about with a fairy etc i really wanted to do the "hang dummies on the xmas tree" but she was to young to understand b4 xmas and this xmas she will be 3!!!

do you think 2 is defo to old for a dummy?

Hi D, I know it is really hard, but i'll tell you what i did with Emily
Now she was about 2-2/12 and when i wanted to wean her off it, i just got her out of bed on a mornig and left it upstairs, after a while she never even noticed she didn't have it in the day, distract her as much as you can if she asks for it
Emily just used to have it for sleep then and after a couple of minths never really bothered so we hung it on the Xmas tree for Santa to take to the new babies.
Might be worth a try to let her have it for sleeps, explain to her a bit that it is only for sleeps now
I'm lucky with Jack as he has never had it through the day, dunno why 'cos 1 as always been about

Good luck hun x

i let mine have a dummy for sleep untill they were 4 and 5, they both gave there dummys to santa to take to poor children who havent got any.

I didnt let them have it when they were awake but didnt have a problem with them having it for sleep as it was a comfort to them.

good luck with it, your braver than me!

x

Dior still dont comunicate very well. she would have no idea what i was on about with a fairy etc i really wanted to do the "hang dummies on the xmas tree" but she was to young to understand b4 xmas and this xmas she will be 3!!!

do you think 2 is defo to old for a dummy?

I don't, think its too old Emily was 3 when we hung it on the tree

I had mine until i was 5:blush:

Aww Dionne .. sorry cant give you any advice .. just wanted to say good luck hun .. think you are being very strong :hugs:

i have caved in!!!

as soon as some one said 2 is not to old i ran upstairs so excited and gave her it. her little face bless her:baby: :baby: :baby:

i wil try and do it for only at bed time. but she wants it all day all the time. every thing she does!

thanks girls for your help. but i no its still going to be a struggle to take her out in the car or just to the shop with out it

Just give her a doll or a drink or something when in car or look at a book together
She is still only little, she'll get rid in her own time, Nursery won't let her have it in the day, well the one i worked at didn't unless really upset/poorly

Hang on in their girl I know its really hard when they are screaming like mad, god especially in the car, when its the only way to stop them screaming in a confined space!!! I know Noah is younger but I found he got over it very quickly and has no interest now. And I have really noticed how his babling has improved without it. Although he didnt have it much during the day he often talks to himself the most last thing at night and first thing in the morning in his cot, like he is practicing to himself. He used to make a lot of grunting noises but since getting rid the dummy he has stoped doing that totally and makes a lot more mouth shapes and sounds. At least by getting Harley off them now at the same time as Dior his too young to be doing the 'mummy I hate you' type tantrums over it. You may find with night times you have to go back to controlled crying with them for the first few nights - In fact that has been another brilliant think with doing away with them, Noah seems to fall into a deeper sleep without sucking on a dummy, so we dont ever have to go into him during the night anymore, which we did before every night!

Personally i think above 2 is told old for a dummy, ( i know people will hate me) at night ok but not in their mouths during the day, my friends 2.5 yr old was trying to talk to me with a dummy in her mouth but she couldn't get anyone to understand her, so her mum sent the dummy to the dummy fairy.
it was the best thing she did, the girl was less frustrated as people could understand her, she was babbling away more to her self, more sentences, and increased language, she was behind on her language according to the HV. You either have to go cold turkey and stick to it - other wise she will know that if she cries long enough and hard enough she'll get it back. or wean her of it during the day and only letting her have it at night, you have to be really consistent and strict - it probably will be hell. but you have to be strong.

well good on you for going cold turkey but im not going to take Colbys away untill she is 3 tahst if she still has it then same as im not going to take pull ups away till she is 3. I found with Adele 3 was such a better age of understanding things and it was the perfect age for her to know when she needed the toilet ect so im just playing it cool with Colby as i know Adele didnt have any speach problems with sucking her thumb

but good luck dionne
xxx

thanks for that weestar made me feel better. i trust your advice seems you have been there before xxxxx

:cry::cry::cry: awwww thanks dionne thast the sweetest thing anyone has said to me that they trust my advice im so pleased youve made my day :hugs::happydance:

awww bless ya hun. i do mean it though, no one knows best then some one thats been there and done it
and after reading about how well adele does in school etc, i will take your parenting advice:hugs:

Dionne you know your little girl better than anybody else ...

If you don't think she is ready then don't take it away from her ...

Good luck in whatever you decide to do hun!
xxx

I was very lucky I had no problems atall taking Ella's dummy away, the funny thing is now I cant imagine what she'd look like with one in her mouth lol, where as before I couldnt imagine her without one. . Maybe at first just try and give it to her at night for comfort for sleeping and hide it in the day and distract her if she askes for it, then evetually when she is used to that take it away at night. and let her cry, controlled crying in so heartbreaking, especially when it goes on for ages, but its the only way. Either that or wait untill she is old enough to understand a dummy fairy story or something similar.

If you want her to have a dummy, becuase she is happier with one, then its entirely your descison, I do think problems with teeth are a bit of a horror story to scare people into taking away the dummy and not as common as made out? but maybe it could slow speach, saying that Ella is a chatterbox and she had a dummy. do whatever you think is right hun

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->