• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Someone please convince me I didnt waste $250

Kristalebear1

<3 Isobel's Mommy <3
Reaction score
SO I planned on cloth diapering but even though my LG was 8lbs 7oz, 19.5in. she was still small for my cloth diapers (even the newborn ones I bought... she has skinny legs lol) So I have been using pampers N size diapers, and then went to BabyCare (Albertsons store brand) to compare and they work great which is fine for now as OH works there we get 20% off and they are already half the cost of pampers.. so savings yay.

but now shes almost 4 wks old and getting small for newborns.. We have a pack of size one diapers that were given to us and she is still a tad small for those... so back to the point I have this huge stack of cloth diapers and... I feel like waiting to use them til shes at least small in size 1. Because right now she goes so often Id be doing laundry for hours!!

Did anyone else wait to use Cloth, I have 30 pockets, 15 NB, 6 prefolds/covers, and 2 AIO... so more than enough. she goes through 20 dipes day/night combined, and I am hoping she will cut that down to 15 before getting her in cloth diapers. She still doesnt properly fit in them and they look like they will swallow her alive haha, the NB fit now but I dont see the point if theres not enough for a full day/night.

Did I waste the money or will It still be worth it to cloth diaper when shes closer to 4-5months?

I started CDing when Jacob was around 3/4 months old. He was a premie so didn't fit into "all size" pockets until then. I didn't buy smaller ones.

They will save you money in the long run. In the UK, average spend on nappies are £10 ($17?) a week, £520 per year, average 2.5 years of nappies = £1200 ($2000?) I spent approximately £300 on cloths. This was two set of eBay cheapies (bought a year apart and just fancied some more patterns) & two expensive nappies.

I still use the inserts now as cleaning cloths.

Our little man was 6lb 7oz when he was born, with skinny legs, so we waited until he was three months old before starting with cloth. It was also easier to wait until he stopped pooing at night so we didn't have to use hundreds of nappies through the night!

I waited until my 4lb'er was a couple of months old. Of course it's not a waste, they'll be in nappies for a long time yet :)

Our little man was 6lb 7oz when he was born, with skinny legs, so we waited until he was three months old before starting with cloth. It was also easier to wait until he stopped pooing at night so we didn't have to use hundreds of nappies through the night!

LOL just so this doesn't terrify people, we only changed diapers twice during the night during the newborns stage, not hundreds ;)

And she's already stopped pooping at night at 4 weeks! We still change her sometimes during the night, but it's been all wet for almost a week now.

Would you believe me if I say my daughter has never pooped through the night!?

LOL just so this doesn't terrify people, we only changed diapers twice during the night during the newborns stage, not hundreds ;)

And she's already stopped pooping at night at 4 weeks! We still change her sometimes during the night, but it's been all wet for almost a week now.

I only change twice-three times most at night, she only wakes twice about every three hours (except the past day, think she's having a growth spurt) and as of yesterday my LG only poops once a day but that can be totally normal for a BFing baby (I panicked at first haha, good thing my peds on speed dial) but when she poops OMG.. I'm surprised the diaper doesn't disintegrate.

I hope to have her in cloth by 3-4 months.

Now she poops only 1-2 times a day, in the afternoon. Makes me so glad. DS pooped almost every time he was fed until around 3 months.

We didnt really switch full time to cloth until around 3-4 months. My LO was like yours. He was almost 8 lbs but a long skinny baby. We actually had him in premie diapers for almost the first month even tho by weight he was a heavier baby. At almost 5 months now cloth actually fit him better than sposies because I'm able to get a snug enough fit around his skinny little butt. I was also concerned but don't worry. Even if you have to use sposies for the first few months you still save a ton in the big picture.

My son was huge at birth and fit into the diapers fine, but he pooped SO OFTEN when he was born. Between that and the recovery from delivery complications for me, it was too much work for us to wash diapers. We waited until 4 or 5 months to cloth diaper at all, because by then his poops had calmed down a little :haha: and even then it was only part time.

Then I got lazy again and we're back to disposables full-time, but at least I'm using the wraps as swim diapers, and we used the cloth diapers themselves as spit up cloths in the early days. I don't feel like it was a waste.

As far as not seeing the point of cloth diapering until you have enough to cover a day, that's really quite optional. I only cloth diaper part time and even if you have enough to only one day, that means you need to wash them every single day if you want to keep on top of it. One thing you might want to do is just start using them for certain periods of the day and see what you think. I'd recommend starting during the day time when you're not going anywhere. What's when we are more likely to use cloth. When we're out of the house or at night time, we tend toward disposables. Just try them and see what works and adjust from there :)

Oh, and I didn't wait as long as you but in the very beginning, we used disposables only.

My LO didn't fit in her one size fits all until she was about 3-4 weeks. (She was 7lb 4oz at birth). We just used organic disposable until then. I use the inserts system and love it. I don't find it much more work to be honest. We still use disposables if we go out for more than an hour or two, im not fully comfortable in my own skin with cloth diapering on the go yet lol.

With the next baby, I will buy the actual newborn size covers so I can start from day one. I have a good system going, and once you get into routine with it its great!!

It took me a while to be confident enough to cloth 24/7. It's totally choice though - even a couple of disposables a day is better for the environment than full time sposies.

One thing that seems to differ in the UK vs US cloth routine is a lot of US mama's seem to wet pail their cloth. That's not recommended here at all. Over time, it can affect the integrity of the nappy like the PUL and elastics etc, shortening their life. A lot of brands, like bumgenius, advise against it.

Not to mention a wet pail can be a drowning hazard!

We didn't start cloth with my son until he was about 2 months old and it looks like it might be similar for girlie too. Kiddo was too skinny until then for one size diapers so this time I got newborn diapers but girlie grew out of them so fast. Now I'm waiting on new diapers to come in the mail because the one size diapers I had for my son have no elastics anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->