• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

somthing i was wondering about 4th july

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
Just somthing i was wondering about today but may seem a really silly mussing.
Americans say 4th july in the same way English dates are used ie date before month yet everything else in American terms the month is normaly first.
Just seems a little odd especialy seen as what independance day is about.

I emailed an American client today to wish them happy 4th of July - and questioned it too in my head. It sounded right but couldn't help thinking that's not how Americans say the date.

I still don't get how the date is written in USA - day, month, year is going up in size of time, like small, medium, large. Why does America do medium, small, large? Lol ;)

Interesting question! I would also like to know the answer.

I'm from the U.S. It seems perfectly normal to me.

I can't explain any of this, sorry to say.

What's kinda odd to me still is how Korea does it. 13/07/04. They do their dates that way.

Thats intersting about Korea, i was wondering if there was a country that did it that way.
It does get a bit confusing when you cant see locations on the mobile site and try working out which way round it is when someone writes a date :)

I emailed an American client today to wish them happy 4th of July - and questioned it too in my head. It sounded right but couldn't help thinking that's not how Americans say the date.

I still don't get how the date is written in USA - day, month, year is going up in size of time, like small, medium, large. Why does America do medium, small, large? Lol ;)

Haha, it winds me up the this reason! I may have a touch of OCD :lol:

Ive always just assumed that was how they did dates when the country was founded,the way Americans say/write dates has obviously changed since but that day has always been called "the 4th of July"

They do it the same way as Korea in Japan too. x

the american month/day/year bugs me as well lol

It seems more logical to go small/medium/large, so day/month/year

Oh its not something that bugs me, I just find it amusing that the day is about independence from British rule yet its one of the only American dates done in the English way of date first.

you would just assume that as the month stays the same for a whole month (shocking i know) you would assume the day would come first at that the most important bit,

but i do find it ironic that on the day they are celebrating freedom from British rule they call it using the British way.

Even on the declaration of independence it is written as month first so they obviously had this way of having the month first before then, yet its more commonly said with the date first despite the American way of dates.

Thats intersting about Korea, i was wondering if there was a country that did it that way.
It does get a bit confusing when you cant see locations on the mobile site and try working out which way round it is when someone writes a date :)

It does. I used to hate that. I'm more used to it now, though. Don't have to think as much.

That way seems odd to me. It's always been month/day/year. So I'm used to it.

Yup. They do.

Oh its not something that bugs me, I just find it amusing that the day is about independence from British rule yet its one of the only American dates done in the English way of date first.

Even on the declaration of independence it is written as month first so they obviously had this way of having the month first before then, yet its more commonly said with the date first despite the American way of dates.

Actually, it's only said with the day first when speaking. When writing about the 4th of July it goes month/day/year.

It does. I used to hate that. I'm more used to it now, though. Don't have to think as much.

That way seems odd to me. It's always been month/day/year. So I'm used to it.

Yup. They do.

Actually, it's only said with the day first when speaking. When writing about the 4th of July it goes month/day/year.

But on loads of posters and adverts that have been popping up all over facebook its still written as 4th July.
If someone asked you when your birthday was how do you reply verbally? month first or date first?

I dont know why the 4th of July is said the way that it is, but in regards to the question in your post above mine, im a Brit in the US and the way i say my birthday varies. I usually just reply with 12/9. Meaning December 9th. But it really doesnt matter what way i say it because people understand. It might take them a couple of seconds in their mind to convert it to how they want to write it down but nobody questions me on it.
The date being different really is just something that you get used to and it becomes second nature to do it the way everybody else does before too long.

We just say 4th of July as a holiday but we still write it as 7/4/13. It's known as July 4th, Independence Day and 4th of July. Most people just say 4th of July because it's easier to say I guess. I don't know why really. It's just the way it's always been said. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a "British" way of saying a date though. Just another way of saying the holiday's name.

I would say it's to set it apart as a holiday and not just a regular calendar day. The date is still July 4. The 4th of July is a holiday (I've never seen it written without the of either).

I would say it's to set it apart as a holiday and not just a regular calendar day. The date is still July 4. The 4th of July is a holiday (I've never seen it written without the of either).

That makes sense.

But on loads of posters and adverts that have been popping up all over facebook its still written as 4th July.
If someone asked you when your birthday was how do you reply verbally? month first or date first?

I haven't seen any. But I see what you mean. I'm guessing it's just cause it's a holiday. But when you write down the date, it would still be month, day, year. Maybe unless on an invitation or something like that?

Month then day.

It's just a tricky confusing thing, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->