Sophia Rollo - 15th June - Shoulder Dystocia Birth Story - More pics P3

Louisa K

Reaction score
Hello Ladies!

Here's my birth story,

So it's Monday night and I'm 4 days overdue, just watched big brother and OH suggests trying you know what to see if it starts anything off as any signs I had were gone now.

Through the night I had period pains and back ache but nothing unusual from what I'd been having, didn't sleep much and at 5:30am I gave up and got out of bed and made me and OH a cuppa tea. When I stood up some water came out, was thinking hmmm but wasn't sure, OH was up already and getting ready for work.

Got back into bed to drink my tea and watch the morning news then got up again and again my knickers got wet, it was about 6am and I felt a contraction out of nowhere, it squeezed tight and I knew that was it!

Went for a wash and I was getting contractions about every 5 minutes and they were blinking strong! I was so shocked but I told OH he better not go to work and to call the hospital and tell them we were coming up soon because my first labour was only 4hrs start to finish!

I got all my bits together and we headed out, at this point my contractions were coming around every 3 minutes and were really painful but breathing through them really really helped, one big breath in and blowing out really really slowly!

Got to the delivery suite at 6:55am and were told to wait in the waiting area, while we were in there OH was rubbing my back, contractions were one after the other and I felt like I really needed the gas and air now, a midwife came in and it was the lady who delivered Louis, she was just going off shift but wanted to wish me luck, she's so lovely! She said someone was on there way and soon enough another MW came in and took me into a delivery room, she told to stick on my nightie and lay down so she could examine me, I was 5cm and she gave me the gas and air.

It took the edge off straight away and I felt like I could manage now. It got to about 8am and the MW's change shift so another MW came to take over, she asked me if I minded having a student MW and I didn't mind at all, they were both lovely.

At about 8:10 I felt like I needed to push and my body pushed anyway, the midwife was like, WHAT! Don't push! We need to put our gloves on!

She told me to get on my knees and lean over the bed and apparently the babies head was ready and waiting!

My OH said "ooh she's got loads of black hair!"

They took the gas and air away from me and told me to listen carefully to what they said, another urge and they said "right give me a nice big push" which I did and ooh I could really really feel the babies head, it kinda felt like a rock hard tennis ball! Another push and her head was coming out, they kept telling me to stop pushing, so I had to pant, it was so hard to go against what my body was telling me to do but I knew I had to.

Next thing I know I the MW pulled this orange cord and the two women turned me over onto my back and pulled my legs up above my head and out wide (McRoberts maneuver), I didn't know what was happening but I thought something isn't right :nope:

About 10 people come in and with the next contraction they told me I have to get her out now, OH said the MW had her hands around babies head and was literally pulling her out, he said is was awful, he didn't know what was going on.

Then baby Sophia came out at 08:24am weighing 8lb 12oz, she cried which was good but she looked very very purple.

OH cut her cord and she was taken by a doctor to check her over. She was ok but not using her right arm :cry: they told me they thought it might be broken but another doc said it's not broken but she has damaged the nerves in her right shoulder..

What had happened was her shoulders were stuck in my pelvis (shoulder dystocia) im quite small and she's quite big, I knew she was big from my 37 week scan, she was already 7lb 7oz! Not sure why this wasn't picked up by anyone?

As her head was delivered it stopped at her nose, so her chin down were stuck in, MW said they had 5 minutes to get her out because she would have been loosing oxygen :cry: probably why she was so so purple.. Her little face is very bruised..

I lost 800ml of blood and apparently thats alot :dohh: I think they said 200ml is about normal.. My iron levels were really low so we had to stay in hospital.

We were allowed out yesterday evening, Sophia has had to be referred for physio but she is moving her arm more and more each day.. :happydance:

So theres my birth story!

Thanks for all your support ladies, couldn't have done it without you all! :kiss:

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs619.snc3/32574_1139476503867_1736055767_278765_3496267_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs659.snc3/32574_1139476543868_1736055767_278766_3338570_n.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs559.ash1/32574_1139476463866_1736055767_278764_6609949_n.jpg

What a quick labour, and fantastic birth story, your little girl is gorgeous... hope her shoulder gets better soon :) xx

Shes lovely. congratualtions.
Ur lucky having such quick labours
xx

Aw she is beautiful, glad your both ok now xx

She is beautiful! It sounds like your midwife was really on the ball, getting help for you so quickly and without fuss. I'm glad that you have been well looked after.

congrats shes soo cute - hope you and babs get better soon xx

Isn't this the 2nd labor story this week that starts with Big Brother??? Sounds like a new labor starting technique ;-)

what a gorgeous little one, wow lots of thick black hair. Well done!!

What a great birth story. Congratulations. Sophia is absolutely beautiful. x

aww she's gorgeous congratulations!
hope her shoulder is better soon.

Aww, bless her! Congratulations, I hope that her shoulder is better soon. Well done!

Wow look at that hair!!! I hope my little girl has hair like that :D

Congratulations xxxx

What a little fighter!!! And lovely and quick labour, well done!!! She's gorgeous!

Hope she continues to get better. Huge congrats, she is lovely.xxx

Congratulations hun, sophia is absoloutley BEAUTIFUL, i can't believe how much hair she has!...I wish her a speedy recovery, and hope her shoulder gets better soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->