Sorry for another post! Health visitor question for UK ladies

L

LilMiss_91

I got a call from the HV last week to arrange a home visit (which will be this coming Monday). Is it standard practice for them to come before baby is born? Also, what should I expect from the visit?
I just wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that I have a history or depression and was being treated for it with medication up until I found out I was pregnant, or whether it was just a standard thing they're doing now.
I don't mind either way, in fact I think it will be quite nice to meet her and get to know her a little before baby arrives, I'm just curious :)

Yeah I had the health visitor come round last week. It's just a standard thing.

She basically gave me the baby's red book, (which is a book they record weigh-ins for the baby once it's here, and record things like hearing test results, and immunisation dates and stuff - all kids get them).
She also went through things like breastfeeding benefits, and safest way to put baby to sleep in its cot (feet to foot of cot, in parents' room until 6 months etc.)
She asked me how I was feeling within myself.
General other questions - what religion are we, do we have any pets, etc.

I've heard from some other women who are pregnant that the health visitor looked at where the baby is going to sleep, but she didn't do that to me, though she said she would have to look after the birth.

Personally I just found it an annoying waste of time, but I've already got 3 kids so this is far from new information for me.

I've never heard of this. I was told someone would come round to my house the day after we bring baby home.

Thanks alicecooper :)

Really they have to see where the baby is sleeping? How weird is that! Do they think you're keeping it outside in a cardboard box or something?! I feel like I'll have to whip around with the hoover before she comes now!

@MrsCeder maybe it depends whereabouts you are? It seems odd that it would depend on the area but it's the only thing I can think of :/

some areas do this and some don't.
Last time no one came round beforehand and after the birth I never saw the same HV twice (but then I didn't see the same mw twice during pregnancy either)
In fact my first visit was two student HV that spent more time sitting there watching finding nemo that was on the tv at the time :) and my second visit the HV phoned up about an hour before the appointment and said she was running late I would have to bring LO to her which was a huge pain because I don't drive and OH and I had been up for nearly 3 nights with LO so he was in no fit state to drive so I had to get my mum to come over to give us a lift then climb up 5 flights of very narrow staires.

We didn't get our first proper visit till LO was nearly 3 weeks old then never saw a HV again just when we took him along to the clinic to be weighed.

It's a new process here too. My HV came round at week 34 to introduce herself. She talked about services and classes and what they do post birth.
She didn't look round the house or check out the baby's room and she didn't give us the red book. Was a bit pointless really :)

She basically gave me the baby's red book, (which is a book they record weigh-ins for the baby once it's here, and record things like hearing test results, and immunisation dates and stuff - all kids get them).
She also went through things like breastfeeding benefits, and safest way to put baby to sleep in its cot (feet to foot of cot, in parents' room until 6 months etc.)

I've heard from some other women who are pregnant that the health visitor looked at where the baby is going to sleep, but she didn't do that to me, though she said she would have to look after the birth.

Personally I just found it an annoying waste of time, but I've already got 3 kids so this is far from new information for me.

Why did she ask what religion you were?

I had a visit at about 37wks last time and have been told we'l get a visit again this time.
They didnt do much, gave me my red book and just a general chat really.
They didnt look round the house or in the babys room.

MrsCedar, the person that comes round the day after you bring baby home is generally a midwife, health visitors come round after a bit longer (at least in this area)
Xx

Our health visitor came round on monday and she was absolutely lovely. I wish she was my midwife...or my nana! :haha:
She basically skimmed through our family health history, talked briefly about things like how to make bottles and cot death and then left with the student midwife who came along.
She didn't give me a red book and she didn't ask to see where baby was sleeping. Before she came I was so nervous but I honestly loved her and I think it'll be nice to see her on a regular basis after Lily is born.

As others have said I think it varies from area to area, fingers crossed you get a nice one!

Haven't the foggiest idea :shrug:

Haven't the foggiest idea :shrug:

Its just a general census type thing so they can fill out equal care quotas each year.
Normaly your asked this as well at your booking in and its in your maternity notes, again its just so they can tick boxes that they are opening themselves to a equal community.

Lol...I've seen many posts about health visitors throughout my years on this site. It must be a really different mindset in the UK. Can't imagine what someone here in West Virginia would do if a government employee tried to come in a house (with no cause) and asked what religion you were or said they had to see where baby would sleep. What do they do if you cosleep and they aren't happy with that? I understand it is a social program to help, but way too invasive in my opinion.

I agree, we always had the health visitor after baby was born, and we co slept she wasn't funny about it, but just gave me advice on the dangers of it.. I said we practiced it correctly and safely, I think they just have to rule out that your not a total idiot! And your baby's not at risk, I think I saw ours twice, or maybe three times, but that's only because I developed mastitis..
I would be annoyed if she'd asked to see where the baby slept, and probably would have challenged it, I'm 32 and a veteran mum my eldest is 15, plenty of time and experience to find your "mum balls"
Just make sure your comfortable with everything that's going on in YOUR home..

Lol...I've seen many posts about health visitors throughout my years on this site. It must be a really different mindset in the UK. Can't imagine what someone here in West Virginia would do if a government employee tried to come in a house (with no cause) and asked what religion you were or said they had to see where baby would sleep. What do they do if you cosleep and they aren't happy with that? I understand it is a social program to help, but way too invasive in my opinion.

Wow never had a visit before baby was born last time. Maybe it's new or different in different areas. My HV came once when the midwife stopped and then once again at 3months.

My friend told me hers came and went upstairs to look at where baby slept! I think that is going a bit too far and they shouldn't snoop about your home.

Er if anyone wanted to look where my baby was going to sleep they would be told no!!

Last time the HV came around before baby was born to introduce herself and give me the red book that was it x

It's a new thing in our area as well. I was quite shocked to get a letter to say they wanted to visit. I rang to change my appointment as we had a wedding on the same day and I asked if you had to have a visit and as its my third baby I was told I didn't have to. So I just cancelled my appointment as it seemed to be a bit of a waste of time.

Thanks for the great replies ladies :D it's good to have a general idea of what I should expect from the visit.
Although if the HV is wanting to see the actual Moses basket etc she'll be out of luck as I don't have it all set up yet lol.

Americans have a very different mindset to Brits generally. I'm American but live permanently in the UK now, so I'm used to both. We tend to do lots of things in the home that in America you have to go to an office for. A health visitor isn't like social services or anything. They're pediatric nurses. So kinda like how you would take your baby to the pediatrician in the first weeks after birth, we just do it at home with a nurse instead. You don't take your baby to the doctor until 6 weeks (and then it's just to get your shots as they can't do those at home). Otherwise, the nurse comes to you. They do ask about where baby is sleeping and how you are coping and such and do weight and length measurements, but that's what your ped would (or should) do too, just in an office instead of a home visit. It's great! I couldn't imagine having a baby in the U.S. now and having had to go out to doctor's visits in the first few weeks. It was so nice to stay at home and have someone come to us. :thumbup:

Im 35 weeks and had the Hv visit me at home today. She said it was just to introduce herself, gave me her contact details and some leaflets,took abit of a family medical history, talked alot about support, baby routine, breast feeding etc etc and let me know how often they visit once baby is born. Was nice to meet her and I didnt mind her coming as this is our first baby so everything us new to us :)

HVs are the norm in a lot of countries. It varies state by state here in Germany, but the system is similar. We got a free pack of nappies, fennel tea and plug socket protectors when ours came :D

They are trained pretty well not to interfere with different parenting philosophies and are more likely to offer information on different sleeping practices than tell you you're doing it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->