Soy

DollPosse

Reaction score
I keep reading mixed information on meat alternatives like soy during pregnancy. I don't enjoy meat very much so I prefer alternatives.

I eat meat a soy products. Most of my friends are veggie and ate lots of soy during their pregnancies and all babies are just fine. Unfortunately, if we look into it, there will be a warning about everything we want to consume. I listen to the major things - cook meat to at least medium, cook eggs through, no sushi - although women in Japan eat it every day, no unpasteurized juices. Other than that, I eat what I can when I can.

You're right. There are so many restrictions regarding pregnancy and diet.

Soy alters hormones, and increases estrogen. It's advised not to be eaten at all, even while NOT pregnant. I don't mean to be a 'downer' and rain on your parade. A lot of vegan's are opting out of eating it now as well.
Also it's VERY difficult to find soy products that are truly organic, (in the U.S and Canada at least)...Monsanto owns the 'right' to the soy bean...and is mass distributed...and to find TRUE organic soy is like finding a needle in a haystack.
So I would just do some research for yourself and then make your choice.

I have seen some articles on say advising pregnant women not to eat soy. I don't eat soy so i don't know much about it.

I was vegan for more than a year and switched to vegetarian after the first few weeks of my pregnancy, exactly because I did not feel comfortable consuming soy any longer. I drink fortified almond/oat/hazelnut milk and eat cheese and eggs occasionally mainly for B12 vitamin and protein. The way I see it, there is no reason to consume soy and since the data is conflicting and inconclusive, I decided to keep it out of my diet as much as possible. The issue with soy is that it hides in many processed foods like baked goods and margarine as well, so you are probably consuming a small amount anyway, without realizing it.
If it is protein you are worried about, just increase your intake of beans, lentils, chickpeas (hummus, for example), mushrooms and kale. Of course, eggs and dairy will boost your protein intake as well, if you feel comfortable consuming them.

If you feel that you still want soy in your diet, consume it in fermented forms like tempeh and soy sauce.

Best of luck and don't worry too much. Many children have been born to vegan women who consumed soy products as a pp said and they look fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->