SPD - am I gonna have a battle on my hands?

Linzi

Prodest mummy ever
Reaction score
As I expected to happen (though not this early!!) my SPD has come back with a vengance the past few days.

I had it with Seth from about 30 weeks. This time my pelvis has felt stiff from the beginning and the past few days started getting quite painful and its making stairs etc difficult.

I'm worried my midwife is going to start putting obstacles in my way for a homebirth because of it. Most other things Id go into hospital for if they told me but I really don't think it's appropriate for this. When I got it with Seth I was told I'd have to have an epidural to get him out but as it happened I had him so quickly that I didn't have time.

So I know I can do it without the epi coz I did last time, it doesn't present any real risk to me or baby (as far as I know) and it just sounds like a totally stupid reason to go into hospital for it.

I'm seeing her Thursday and just want to be clued up before I get the inevitable lecture and referral to consultant and physio at the hospital (like last time).

If they advise against me giving birth at home I can fight against it, right? They wouldn't like, not send someone?

I've got some spd, although it's not major, and my midwife hasn't ever given any hint that it will affect my homebirth.
I thought an epi is actually bad if you have spd, because you can't feel how much you are pushing yourself and then when the feeling returns you find you've damaged yourself even worse?
They can advise you don't give birth at home but it is your decision and, no, they can't not send someone to you when you call and say you need a midwife to attend to you at home.
I can't really think of a reason why spd would hinder a homebirth. :shrug:
Hope all goes well with the midwife and you don't need to argue your case.

My midwife referred me to a physio for spd but she is still fine about home birth.

I dont' think it would stop a homebirth:hugs: I had it badly last time and was referred to the physio, she didn't even ask my birth plans. I had a vaginal delivery too and I just didn't mention my SPD when I got to hospital. My community midwife knew about my SPD but she never mentioned me needing an epidural. I don't think it would be good reason for denying somebody a homebirth and as the others say it's your decision in the end, you have a right to a homebirth, the worst they can do is advise against it:hugs::hugs:

I've got SPD quite severely this time. I had it with both my boys too so it was expected.

I go to physio for it and yeah my MW was a bit off about a HB and SPD, coming out with daft comments like will I be able to get in/out of the pool.. what if I get stuck, they'd have to cut the pool to get me out etc :wacko: I can just see me letting them cut open a pool of water in my lounge :dohh:

I had two perfectly normal straightforward births (One completely natural) with my boys in hospital, the SPD never affected it.

I was a bit concerned this time id have a fight but after getting lots of advice and finding out more info on my rights im not so worried now. I dont think you'll have much of a problem. They always find something to go against a HB (well mine do anyway!) so as long as your prepared to stick to what you want theres no reason you cant have the birth you want :)

xx

Thanks ladies

I just remember last time I got referred to a consultant at the hospital and I was told first Id need a section, then that Id have to be induced and then that I would need to be in hospital asap because I wouldn't be able to manage it without an epidural.

As it happened, my labour was quick, I begged for a blimmin epi and no one brought me one coz it was too late :rofl:

My husband is now humming and harring again after I pretty much convinced him about homebirth. He'd worried if something happens to my pelvis, what if I pass out through pain etc.. Ive explained that those things are very very rare (near on impossible Id imagine the passing out bit) and if it did happen it wouldn't be because Im at home... "well, I dont know we'll have to speak to the midwife wont we :dohh:"

xx

I had bad SPD from 22 weeks last pregnancy and I could barely move. I saw and Osteopath twice and was cured! I walked an hour the day before I had my baby and prior to the osteo walking to the toilet was agony. I swear by them. The physio did nothing much except try to 'manage it'. The osteo removed it. The pain was awful.

There have been quite a lot of SPD sufferers have home births on here if my memory serves me right and it's not normally a huge sticking point.
That consultant sounds very dramatic! Even with a severe case of SPD I would imagine the risks associated with CS are greater than the risks of a vaginal birth. Anecdotally women with SPD often seem to find they birth quicker and easier because everything is more supple to start with.

Thanks for posting this! I'm quite worried about this myself.

I think I have the beginnings of it - terrible pain standing on one leg, starting to struggle walking to work, pain rolling over in bed - mentioned it to the midwife at the last appointment (some weeks ago) and her advice was to just slow down how fast I walk, don't do more exercise than necessary, but I've got to a stage where if I do any less, I'll just stop. Can't really do much less than walk to work and walk to the shops, and that is the extent of my weekly activity! I was considering asking for physio at my appointment next week but didn't want to do anything to damage their so-far really positive attitude to home birth. On balance it doesn't seem anything that should worry you. Two midwives and a birth partner should comfortably manage the weight of a labouring woman, so if there's a real pickle at home (and as unlikely as it is and you were indeed unable to move an inch due to pelvic pain), there ought to be enough present to manage you out of the bath or whatever position you had got yourself in!

Incidentally the only thing I've read about SPD affecting birth plans in any way is that an upright birth is recommended, so standing or all fours, squatting if you can manage but with a ribbon tied round your thighs/knees so you don't exceed what's comfortable. This obviously conflicts with having induction or epidural, as being flat on your back with legs open and apart would be incredibly uncomfortable with SPD.

I had it with DS3 and 4, it wasnt so bad with DS3 but was absolutely horrific with DS4. I dont know how it would affect a home birth, I couldnt have had one because it got so bad I was admitted to hospital and they induced me 3 weeks early. It wasnt just the pain of the SPD it caused a lot of other problems. I dont see any reason why you couldnt still have a home birth providing there are no other complications though.

Thanks everyone

I think because of their attitude last time towards it when I wasn't even considering a homebirth has made me worried, plus they made my birth on my back which was uncomfortable and I'm pretty sure he'd have been out quicker if Id have had my way and been more upright which I plan to do this time.

Guess I'll just see what they say :) I was just worried about going to see mw and her being like "oh well you can't have that now, so which hospital are you going to?" and me just caving saying I would go in. I want to know my options.

Thanks xxx

I've sent a link to this thread to Rachiebaby who's a home birth graduate with SPD. She's going to reply when she gets online after work later.

Only you can decide where the best place for you is. It's not a case of caving. If you think they are right then it's your choice to go with their advice. You always have options and almost everything is negotiable.

x

Hiya! I had very bad SPD with my second baby Remi, so much so I was on crutches from about 26 weeks and I had a successful HOME BIRTH!! :happydance:

Luckily for me my mw was very supportive. She told me that the only interference that SPD has with a natural birth is that you may find it uncomfortable in certain positions. In fact, spd is when your pelvis is too loose which actually helps during the second stage of labour.I had to see a consultant during my pregnancy and he told me that a home birth was "not advisable" whilst I have spd. I asked him why and he hummed and hahhed and came up with " your more likely to need a epidural!" ????!!!! I was told that if it got really bad I could be induced and I asked him if I could refuse that and he said that I could as ultimately, they could not force me to do anything. Just like they cannot force you to go to hospital should you stay at home to birth.

During labour I didn't notice my spd at all! All I could notice and focus on was the labour. I did find a few positions uncomfortable, but not sure if that's due to the spd or just how baby was or my own preference. Luckily my mw was great and we tried so many positions until I was comfy and in fact I gave birth slightly laying on my recliner chair!.

No-one can tell u not to birth at home. And in truth, even when you have a hospital birth, you labour at home for a certain time anyway. Spd isn't an issue to not have a home birth and if they try to scaremonger you then ask for a proper explanation of the "risks". My mw was great so if your mw is on your side and helpful, its all go for your home birth. Spd or not xx

Thanks hun thats great :)

Ive always said if Im advised to go to hospital to give birth I will, as long as I feel it's necessary. If they tell me there's a slight risk to me or baby at home for whatever reason (e.g. breech, not enough midwifes on call, whatever) I'll go in no questions.

But if she DOES tell me this isnt a good idea I can't possibly see how it would have a negative affect or risk to me or prawn. Ive gave birth with it once Im sure as hell I can do it again. I was considering not having a pool whereas now I am looking into the option of having one which should make labour easier to manage I guess.

Just don't want to have a massive argument on my hands for something which isn't even risky.

xxx

I think that's a sensible approach. Everyone has different perceptions of an acceptable 'risk'. Like everything I always say get them to explain the risks as they see them and possible scenarios then go away, do your research then make an informed decision that's right for you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->