SPD - does it get worse the further along you are?

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
I've just been diagnosed with SPD. I had my suspicions starting about 2 weeks ago, and now its pretty bad. Started off with a slight discomfort when lifting my leg to put on underwear or pants, and now its escalated into severe pain. As well as having trouble going up/down our stairs at home and moving things aside with my foot like I used to do. Very strange how quickly it all became much more painful over the past two weeks.

I'm now wearing a support belt and will be sitting down to put on socks/underwear/pants. But I'm worried about what all this means. :(

Can anyone tell me what to expect with SPD the further along I get?

I got spd at 18 weeks started physio at 21 weeks however after 4 sessions I found it no help so stopped going. It is more painful as I've got further along but not as bad as I thought it would be (maybe im just lucky though!) I still have to take it very easy and do have to be much more careful than I was with my first. However it's not as bad now as I thought I would be. I'm 34 weeks Monday. Hope that helps and you feel better soon x

Oh yes! Started at 24wks. Once hit30wks just got worse weekly. I dont know if we all suffer differently with it. From 36wks hubby had to always help me out of bed i couldnt roll over couldnt do much i went 9 days over.

For labour stay off bed and be active swaying hips or birthing ball. Do not give birth on your back its way to much pressure on the pelvis.

I gave birth on all 4s. Deffo try for a water birth what im.going for this time.

I had SPD from 8 weeks with my first and it did progressively get worse. when I gave birth the pain got better but didn't go away. Now pregnant with my second I got it as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Tbh I'm in agony, I'm like a prisoner I can't walk anywhere without suffering for the rest of the day so most of the time I stay in. Physio hasn't helped. I think I do have it quite severe and it will effect everyone differently. Just try to take it as easy as possible.:flower:

Unfortunately yes it does. I didn't have it with my first, I got it at 30/32 weeks with my second and at 16 weeks with my 3rd, I tried the support belt, physio, acupuncture and none of them worked. I got given crutches at 22 weeks and by 30 weeks I regularly used a wheelchair for slightly longer journey's (such as going to town/food shopping)

Once I had LO the relief was immense, but I made it worse again by slipping over in the shower and landing on my pelvis! BUT it does generally go away after a few months, I still get pains every now and then if I turn certain ways but nothing major.

I would ask your physio to see about acupuncture as it does work for certain people, failing that the crutches did help a little but the wheelchair was the best for me but I hated it as I've always been very mobile and quick and I hated the slowness etc x

:hugs:

I also think it's different for each pregnancy/woman.

with DS1, it didn't really get much worse - came on from 34-36 weeks then stayed pretty much the same until delivery at 42 weeks. With DS2, it progressively got worse - i was pretty much stuck in bed from before the EDD until delivery 18 days past EDD b/c it hurt so much. It was excruciating.

I highly recommend water birth, if you can! Once I stepped in the tub, both times, felt nothing at all in terms of SPD pain.

huge :hugs: hope it doesn't get much worse for you.

Oh and swimming is supposed to be really good for SPD too if you can manage to go :) X

Oh and swimming is supposed to be really good for SPD too if you can manage to go :) X

I wouldn't recommend breast stroke though! The thought brings pain tears to my eyes! I bet it would be lovely to just float there and take all the pressure off.

With my first baby it got progressively worse, with my second pregnancy it started very early (about 24 weeks) so I was very worried about how I would cope. It actually got a little better after I was more careful about how I slept, lifting things like shopping and the hoover etc. I was painful for the last month as his head was engaged but I found that gentle walking and swimming helped.

Unfortunately there is not a good answer for this.
Yes for me, it's got worse and worse.
I have crutches now.

Trick is to get physio 6 weeks after birth to make sure you recover well xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"