SPD help anyone?

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
im so annoyed with my doctors/hospital/midwife!
at my 28 week app on Tuesday my midwife gave me a referral form for physio for SPD as she says from what ive described she thinks I may get quite bad with it towards the end and thinks I should see someone straight away (I have a muscle disease also so pain etc will be considerably worse)
anyway i was told by MW that id have to call the hospital physiotherapy dept. and book and appointment.
i called them today and they said they aren't taking any more bookings over the phone, they are busy and if i need an appointment my midwife will have to send off the yellow form that she gave me, then when they receive it they will look into it! :growlmad:
the next time i see my MW will be at 31 weeks, by the time she sends off this form and i get my appointment the baby will probably be bloody born!!!!!

:cry: does anyone have any experience with SPD and anything to recommend i do in the mean time to try and control the aches and pains and try to stop it getting any worse? please... :shrug:

Hi Kirsty,
Could you just ring your midwife and tell her what the physio department said. I'm sure they'll be sending it off for you or can talk to them if they think you need it. I certainly wouldn't wait 3 weeks.
I had my SPD starting relatively early at around 24 weeks or so and seeing a private physio (as there were horrendous waiting times on the public scheme) and my fantastic osteopath helped A LOT. Especially the Osteopath has been a life-saver. Would definitely recommend to see one (if you can afford it)

And yes, it does tend to get worse the bigger you get, but I have found that there are better and worse times (sometimes in a space of days, just depending on how baby lies) and that I had braced myself for a lot worse (now at 38 weeks) than it actually is (especially cause I got it so early).

Also, wearing a support belt (they are called serola belt) was great for a while (I'm too big now and it's not comfortable anymore but had been wearing it a lot up to about 36 weeks)

Wishing you that you'll get it under control quickly and don't wait for treatment, the earlier you catch it the less progressive it will be.

Also google around, there's a lot of "do's and don'ts" information for SPD (sometimes you find more under the PGP (Pelvic girdle pain - which is essentially the same thing) out there and some tips are really helpful. (Keeping legs together, avoid lifting/driving for long periods/sit down to dress/don't stand on one leg/how to get in and out of the car/etc.
Also I loved my birthing ball and found it so much more comfortable than any chair...

I really reccomend seeing an osteopath. Mine was so bad I was in tears and could barely walk and now it's almos completely gone :) after 2 sessions, I'm amazed. I didn't find the physio's excercises helpful and it was far too time consuming with a toddler round. Xx

Heh Hun.
Defo call midwife and they will refer u earlier.
I have had it since about 12 weeks. I have been seeing physio every 2 weeks since then. I can't say it will get easier, as even with physio I am getting worse.
Pillow between legs at night helps
I take paracetamol daily which helps - although I'm now on codine which I take at night when I really need it.
Baths help me relax
Don't do too much when u feel ok - it doubles the pain next day!
I don't vacuum or do dishwasher anymore as it just hurt for the day then.
All the above only stops it hurting more for me, does not "help" with the initial pain :(
I have the belt and am now on crutches :(
Get what u can as soon as u can Hun as they tend to not be forthcoming with appointments etc!
Hope u feel better soon xx

thanks ladies, im gonna try to get in touch with my midwife but that's harder than it sounds as she has never actually given me a contact number for her so when ive enquired about things in the past ive just had to call the maternity ward at the hospital!

I think im gonna get a ball and try doing a few things on there as ive heard a lot of people say they are really helpful :)
will also look into seeing someone privately too!
unfortunately we only have a walk in shower room so no soaks in the bath for me :(
but everything else I will give a try..
thanks again for your replies :flower:

I took my form to the physio department myself. I dont know if thats a possibility for you? I then begged and pleaded (wasnt very dignified but i found thats the only way to get things on nhs) with them and they had me an appointment the following week.

I deffo wouldnt wait. One thing i learnt with spd is you could be fine one minute them bed bound the next.

You said you had a muscle condition i have a bone condition and i emphasised this with the physio to get the appointment.

Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"