SPD/PGP experiences

LoneWanderer

Reaction score
28 weeks (well, in two days) and jumping over to third! Hiya!

So I've struggled with a lot more pain this time than with my first, mainly my legs at first, but as time's gone on it's pretty bad around my hips and pelvis. Currently suffering a weird burning feeling around my pubic bone, finding it hard to swing legs around to stand up, lifting the toddler is literal agony, and I've developed a rather significant waddle far earlier than expected. Trying to keep pressure off my hips is also leading to my foot turning out a bit, so that's even more pain on top of all the rest. It's no surprise tbh, I'm MASSIVE with this one - even bigger than first time round, and that was a struggle too.

Thing is, I did mention it to the midwife last time I was there and she was pretty upfront that she suspects PGP or pelvic dysfunction, and usually they'd refer to a physio - but between covid and cuts and high demand and whatnot, the waiting list for someone getting in touch would probably take me past delivery now - and even then it would probably just be a phone appointment rather than actually seeing someone. So, on balance, not really worth it unless I *really* can't manage.

So I'm just wondering, anyone had any good tips for dealing with this? Like, any particular exercises that work, or ways of dealing with the pain? Can't get a straight answer off Dr Google.

Cheers ladies!

Ohhh I feel you !! I had this with DD2 and DS ! You may know this already but this is what I got told :-

- Pregnancy pillows under your hips and bump . - Some around your back too.
- A birthing ball I found sitting on it more comfortable sometimes than a sofa / chair
- Don’t sit crossed legged
- When walking up the stairs go one step at a time same coming down
-Hot water bottle on the hip area

That’s all I can remember off the top of my head. I didn’t get given any exercises to do just got told to keep active as possible . The pain of a night in the hips is horrendous ! I still get the odd pain in my hips when I’ve been laying on the side for a while and I still like to sleep with a pillow between my legs and DS is nearly 2 hahahah !

I hope things improve for you ! Xx

Oh great idea about the ball! Hadn't planned to get it out so soon but now you say it, I can imagine how it would be way more comfy than a chair!

Yeah nighttime is just no fun now, that's been the worst time! Throw in the leg cramps for extra fun and well, basically I don't think I'll sleep again til baby is here - or several years after that! ](*,)

Ugh I’m sooo sorry. I had symphysis pubis disorder with my 2nd pregnancy and it was agony. I was waddling. Didn’t have it at all with my 3rd but I had made sure to be in much better physical shape before I got pregnant with her so I think that helped.

I’m carrying this one like my 2nd and wasn’t exercising much so I’m feeling it again at 19 weeks, the spd. Starting to waddle.

There are pregnancy belts that a physio would recommend. A weekly chiro adjustment would be helpful. But it’s not a fixable condition. You can have management care but it won’t really get better till the baby is out.

One thing that I make sure of that helps it not get worse, is to make sure both my feet are on the floor before I stand up. So I have to sit up all the way in bed, then plant both feet on the floor, then stand up. Putting weight on one foot unevenly gives me a lot of pain.

I don’t know how it went with your first, but the good news for me was that immediately after I delivered the pain was gone. There was some leftover soreness for maybe a day but that was actually my easiest delivery and recovery.

good luck with your last 12 weeks! I’ve still got 21 so hoping I cope well.

Yes I had SPD worst the first time I had it with DD1 and it was so painful I asked to be induced a couple of weeks early. They didn’t agree to that of course but like you I didn’t see the point in a physio referral because by the time they would have been in touch I would have had her, and it usually goes fairly quickly once you give birth.

I used one of those really long pregnancy pillows, used pillows between my knees in bed, kept knees together whenever I needed to get in and out of a car etc.
Walking up and down the stairs sideways is easier than normal.
You could try a support belt, I think your GP can prescribe one. Or midwife? I’m sure someone said this before. Try not to walk for very long periods too

Aye I'll look into one of these belt things, that's not a bad idea. Sadly walking is unavoidable, we've got a dog that needs his daily wander, though I am cutting it as short as possible and sitting with feet up after. Pretty sure lifting the toddler is making things worse but again, entirely unavoidable (he's only 19 months, but he's roughly the size of a 3 year old...) :rofl: bring on delivery, eh?! Thankfully this will be a scheduled section so no chance of going overdue, I don't think my poor hips or back could take it!

I had it with my last 3 hon. I normally end up oh crutches.
I've been lucky so far with this one tho but it does keep on threatening.
It's horrible I'm sorry u have it.

It's horrible feeling like ure public bone is splitting apart and ure pelvis is so sore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->