Special arrangements for labour?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
The hospital I plan to give birth at doesn't allow partners to stay with you once you've given birth, but because of my circumstances the midwife is arranging it so my partner can stay with me and so I can have a side room.

I was wondering how common it is for them to allow this, and if they are likely to actually do it, or just say "oh we can't do it when the time comes."

Has anyone else had special arrangements planned and actually got them? :)

Thanks x

Why wouldn't they not let him stay?
You live near me! Which hospital is it?

x

Derby city. I just worry, cus I totally understand why they dont usually let partners stay and I do think its fair, but I just know I wouldn';t cope without him.

They let them stay with you unless you get moved to a ward. Unless I'm thinking of someone else, don't you have a disability? That's maybe why they want to keep you in a littlelonger. Most women who have a 'natural' birth don't need to go up to a ward so the partners can stay until baby and mummy is ready to go home :)

my best friend had her baby and derby city, she went upto the ward 4am and he had to go sit in the car till 7am how ridiculous, I'd have a word with the ward hun if you want him to stay get your midwife's support
x

If they've arranged this for you, i can see them going back on it. You do have more complacated reasons for having him there and they should see this.
Hope all goes to plan. xxx

As I understand it - my OH can stay with me until I am transfered from the labour ward to the maternity ward - at which point he can stay if it's during visiting hours. I think they like to move you onto the ward about 2 hours after the birth.

The reason he can't stay (even if we get a private room) is firstly that it is a secure ward and visiting hours are restrictive, and they don't have extra bed facilities, also its not very fair on the other Mothers on the ward to have a strange man wandering around.

Clairebear went to the same hospital and she said they were very good about letting OHs stay longer than hours allowed thou, so i'm hopeful.

If I have a straight forward birth I think they'll let me go home after 24 (for a first baby), but it could go up to a week for a c-section. I hope not as I'll be going out of my mind.

I don't know much about your circumstances Angel, but I think the best thing you can do is get your MW firmly on your side so she can support your request. Talk to a couple of different people at the hospital about these special arrangements, make sure a few people know about them so that whoever is on duty when the time comes knows the arrangements are in place.

If I have a straight forward birth I think they'll let me go home after 24 (for a first baby), but it could go up to a week for a c-section. I hope not as I'll be going out of my mind.

It probably varies from one NHS trust to another, but I'm fairly sure you can leave hospital as soon as 6 hours after the birth if it has all gone smoothly. They might not like to let you go that soon, but you can if you want. Friends of mine were very firm about their wishes and were allowed to leave that soon. That was near Norwich.

I'm not keen to stay longer than is absolutely necessary. It will depend what time it is when bubs arrives, but I can't see myself sticking around more than 12 hours! I will want to use my own bath and sleep in my own bed, not to mention get some decent food!

I don't know much about your circumstances Angel, but I think the best thing you can do is get your MW firmly on your side so she can support your request. Talk to a couple of different people at the hospital about these special arrangements, make sure a few people know about them so that whoever is on duty when the time comes knows the arrangements are in place.

It probably varies from one NHS trust to another, but I'm fairly sure you can leave hospital as soon as 6 hours after the birth if it has all gone smoothly. They might not like to let you go that soon, but you can if you want. Friends of mine were very firm about their wishes and were allowed to leave that soon. That was near Norwich.

I'm not keen to stay longer than is absolutely necessary. It will depend what time it is when bubs arrives, but I can't see myself sticking around more than 12 hours! I will want to use my own bath and sleep in my own bed, not to mention get some decent food!

Thats the same policy here in Edinburgh. They let you go home if everything is okay with you and the baby, after you've eaten and maybe had a little sleep and after they make sure baby is eating and doing fine. I'm not staying in overnight unless I really have to.

My baby was born in Jessops in Sheffield, and because my baby has Spina Bifida and would need to be taken away straight after birth, we were given a single room for the entire length of my induction (3 days for the first part, then went home, then went back when waters broke and had a c-section, then stayed in four days.) and after the baby was born, until I was discharged. We were classed as special circumstances because of the babies problems and the midwives knew it would be a hard time after she was born.

Hope you get what you want.

It may seem unfair but if you go back to the ward there's lots of other ladies there who are trying to sleep in privacy and it's not nice being disturbed by blokes walking about the ward....I've been there.

Side rooms or specific wards would be a great idea for Mum's and Dad's who give birth in the night but would cost money etc. I've always been allowed to stay in the delivery suite with my baby and partner for a couple of hours after birth but after that you're gonna need some sleep anyway chick....and so will your other half.

Remember you'll have lots of time togeather the next day but you will need some rest....although it's hard to think of rest when you're soooooooo excited.

Good luck:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->