Speech

Agiboma

ME+DS+DD+DH
Reaction score
Hi all

Its been a long time since i posted here. Just an update Micah is really doing well, he is a very creative mischevious little boy. He seems to like copying everything we do these days. Like cleaning his ears, brushing his teeth on his own for example. He is great at repatition once he seems an act being done once he then tries to copy and do the same.
My problem is that he is very slow with speech he says momma, dadda and shakes his head for "NO" i really dont know how i can get his speech to come along on my own. We had speech therapy in Canada before we left back in Dec. 2012. But now we are in Africa because we have many business that need our attention and this form of treatment is not available over here. Can you ladies please help me out and recommend some toys or games etc, i can play with him to get the speech coming along faster.

thanks so much in advance

Hi Agiboma

Glad to hear Micah is doing really well. The only thing I can think of to help him is picture cards with animals like dog, cat etc and keep repeating them.

As he is saying some words then it's only a matter of time before he says more. Holly's speech would stay the same for a while then she would get a development spurt and a ton of new words would come out.

Good luck xx

thanks so much for the reply i will buy him the cards and do as you say. How is holly doing? What is she up to these days.

Talk to him all day long- point out every day objects and say the names - plate, mirror, door, chair- all day long. He'll pick it up :) Sometimes they just want to know they can do it well before they even try

Also try book with lots of pictures and reading together.

Also try book with lots of pictures and reading together.

lol yes he likes books he likes to tear them up and eat the paper:haha: little bugger i got him the pop up books and he dismantled them one page at a time.

Just talk to him. Lots. Tell him everything you are doing in short clear words. Use short sentences and don't force it on him, just talk. If he does repeat something, make a big deal about it and try to use that word again to encourage him to use it again. Try and avoid "baby talk" as it can be confusing if he hears you use one word to him but you use a different word in your daily life. Books and cards are a great resource too.

thanks so much for the reply i will buy him the cards and do as you say. How is holly doing? What is she up to these days.

Holly is doing well and is now 29 months. No idea where time has went! We have now been signed of neonatal & dietician. She still has to see audiology as she has congestion in her ears which although doesn't affect her hearing people they said if she was in a room with a lot of noise and someone calls her she won't be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If it hasn't cleared up at the next appointment we are being referred to ENT.

Holly is doing well and is now 29 months. No idea where time has went! We have now been signed of neonatal & dietician. She still has to see audiology as she has congestion in her ears which although doesn't affect her hearing people they said if she was in a room with a lot of noise and someone calls her she won't be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If it hasn't cleared up at the next appointment we are being referred to ENT.

I really hope it clears up and you dont have to go to ENT.

Hi, I came across this link on my travels. I've only glanced at it but it does seem informative.
https://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?page_id=55
Connor is nearly 3 and has speech therapy. They are mainly play based. Picture cards - bee, bear, boat etc. She would ask him 'can you point to the boat' and then try to get him to say the word. We were also encouraged to use makaton signs. I was skeptical at first but they really helped for the common signs, 'more', 'drink', 'food/eat', 'please', 'thank you' were ones were used alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->