Sperm tests

greenjelly

Reaction score
Hello Ladies
TTC#1 and have had some basic tests. I think checking my tubes would be next but my GP suggested nothing more would be done on me until my partner has had his sperm tested. However, now we find out that there is no funding for sperm tests so the service is no longer active. Has anyone paid for a sperm test? How much was it? Can you just have that or will they want to check me out and push us towards more intrusive stuff?

Muchos thanks

Hi GreenJelly,
I live in surrey area, and My husband had a sperm test done only 6 weeks ago on the NHS through our GP, and has been told he can have it done again whenever he wants to... So I am confused at to why you have been told this service is no longer avalible, I am assuming this correctly your GP told you its not avalible on the NHS? if so, I think you need to ask him or her again, because if my husband can get his done, why cant yours.

Take care x

Hello Ladies
TTC#1 and have had some basic tests. I think checking my tubes would be next but my GP suggested nothing more would be done on me until my partner has had his sperm tested. However, now we find out that there is no funding for sperm tests so the service is no longer active. Has anyone paid for a sperm test? How much was it? Can you just have that or will they want to check me out and push us towards more intrusive stuff?

Muchos thanks

Thanks Janie
I live in Hertfordshire and we kept calling the number the GP gave us but noone ever returned our message. WE finally went back to the GP who, after looking into it, discovered the funding had run out (apparently) so an NHS test is no longer an option. I don't know if it is just a temporary thing or permanent. Time is of the essence when one is 39! Would we be better to just pay to have one done privately?

Hi
If time is of the essence, I guess it would be better for a sperm test to be done privately! I've just looked on the NHS website, and it still states you can get a sperm test done by your GP, You would think they would of updated the website of its been stopped :shrug: I dont know then, bit strange its not been told to us if its changed or was going to change, hmmm. think I will go and ask my GP tommorow about this, as doing all these fetility tests can become very expensive when they all add up

x

Thanks Janie
I live in Hertfordshire and we kept calling the number the GP gave us but noone ever returned our message. WE finally went back to the GP who, after looking into it, discovered the funding had run out (apparently) so an NHS test is no longer an option. I don't know if it is just a temporary thing or permanent. Time is of the essence when one is 39! Would we be better to just pay to have one done privately?

My hubby has had 2 done on NHS and was offered another - can you contact a higher authority for your area? It doesn't seem right they can't do it.. :shrug:

We are now going down the IVF route and will have to have one done with them - they are more thorough testing anyway and so NHS tests no good now we are on this, I think that test is about £100 through the IVF centre we are with

The NHS tests did tell us quite a lot about his SA though and were helpful.

I had a number of tests done on the NHS and hubby also had his testes tested....

really feel for you and wish you all the best xx :flower:

OK, we have had a bit of clarification since my original post. We have now been advised to visit a hospital quite a long way from us to get a 'pot' and then arrange what to do with it once it is full! Our local facility seems to not be operating any more. It's not ideal for us but an NHS service is still offered. I will discuss with the OH and see what we do next. Thank you for your input

OK, we have had a bit of clarification since my original post. We have now been advised to visit a hospital quite a long way from us to get a 'pot' and then arrange what to do with it once it is full! Our local facility seems to not be operating any more. It's not ideal for us but an NHS service is still offered. I will discuss with the OH and see what we do next. Thank you for your input

That is terrible advice! Once your Hubby has done his sample it has to be handed over to be tested within one hour - the NHS can be cr*p sometimes! You will obviously have to make arrangements before providing a sample. Alternatively, maybe you could get it done privately. My Hubby and I are having private treatment and the cost of just the initial consultation, plus a sperm analysis, and an AMH test for me was just over £300. HTH!

i'm really shocked by this, my hubby has been given a pot by our own surgery and then we have to call and make an appointment and then he will provide his sample and we have to get it to the hospital within the hour so its fresh at the appointment time. like you i have had initial tests and they been ok so far and been told we will be referred together once hubbys sample comes back. glad you found a clinic that can help you though strange that your surgery cant give you the pot though!

No, I think when we pick up the pot they will tell us to go home and fill it (TMI?) and then take it the suitable place within the time frame. Its just not such a local place as it was originally. So the service is still offered - it doesnt suit us as well! Good luck all.
xxx

Thank you Gingersnaps! On my TWW but have absolutely no symptoms. Keep pressing my boobs to see if they are even slightly tender but nothing! :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->