Squirrel brains?!

SarahP13

Mummy to a princess :-)
Reaction score
Ok, strange question for you American ladies. I just read on some strange Facebook site that squirrel brains are regularly consumed in America. Kentucky, in particular, apparently considers it quite a delicacy.

Is this true?! :sick:

I've heard of people eating sheeps brains (not that I would!) but squirrel brains just sounds worse!!

Nooooo, yuck!! Lol, I've never heard of that, someone may have been just screwing with you.

DH is working in KY right now. I don't actually want to ask him because it might come off offensive but I haven't heard of it. The folks he is working with do make squirrel dumplings though but I think it is just the meat from the body - not the brains.

My mom did when she was a small child. I have never heard of anyone else is our current age eating them. Ever. She just told me about it when she was little. Apparently, she really liked them....?

See I thought it may not be true but it's in a list of 'strange foods eaten around the world' - the list includes tarantulas, snails, live octopus and cockroaches.

And I apologise if I've offended anyone who does eat them, I'm not terribly adventurous with food and squirrel brains is a bit far out for me!

DH has killed and cooked a squirrel before (not for me, when he was a kid/teen). I guess eating squirrels is common in some rural areas, but I can't remember hearing anything about the brains. It could be true though!

I've never seen any part of a squirrel for sale in a store and I've worked with some very rural grocery stores. They do sell some odd things though.

DH has killed and cooked a squirrel before (not for me, when he was a kid/teen). I guess eating squirrels is common in some rural areas, but I can't remember hearing anything about the brains. It could be true though!

I've never seen any part of a squirrel for sale in a store and I've worked with some very rural grocery stores. They do sell some odd things though.

Yes, I think the story my mom told me was when she was a little kid they ate squirrel brains that they killed themselves, and then when they went to a restaurant she asked for it and they were embarrassed :dohh:

Yes, I think the story my mom told me was when she was a little kid they ate squirrel brains that they killed themselves, and then when they went to a restaurant she asked for it and they were embarrassed :dohh:

Oh bless your mum! I expect we eat some foods that would appear strange to others - haggis anyone?! Would be rather taken aback if I saw squirrel for sale in a shop though!

Oh bless your mum! I expect we eat some foods that would appear strange to others - haggis anyone?! Would be rather taken aback if I saw squirrel for sale in a shop though!

Around my area (well in the local stores) they sell frog legs, rabbit, pickled pigs feet, pickled quail eggs and a lot of people suck crawfish heads. I don't know how common that stuff is?

I've eaten raw octopus I think, but it wasn't alive!

Pickled pigs feet?! Yum! :wacko:

Mind you we have Haggis, Black pudding, Laver bread and Faggots! :sick:

And we have a few 'normal' foods but with names that would put you off - toad in the hole, spotted dick and bubble & squeak to name a few.

Around my area (well in the local stores) they sell frog legs, rabbit, pickled pigs feet, pickled quail eggs and a lot of people suck crawfish heads. I don't know how common that stuff is?

I've eaten raw octopus I think, but it wasn't alive!

I don't think most of those are odd. Frogs legs are eaten in France. My granddad's friend used to bring round rabbit (not that I would eat it) and I know when I've passed a butcher's, I've seen rabbits hanging in the window. Picked pigs feet do bot sound very nice. Pickled quails eggs - well, quails eggs are yummy, and pickled eggs (chicken's) are sold in pubs, so why not pickle quails eggs. I'm not sure I could suck a crawfish head - that sounds horrible.

And how could people eat poor little squirrels? They're little cuties. I have one that plays on the fences at the end of my garden. He's a little sweetie and entertains me as he runs back and to.

Omg! I have a phobia of squirrels and most rodents, and could never ever eat this :sick:

I read the same list yesterday too.

I'd try most things on that list....bar the live octopus & frog.

The list did state that Calamari was Octopus....as far as I was aware it's Squid :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->