SSRIs

Weebles

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had success conceiving while their hubby or SO was on SSRI depression medication. This is our third cycle trying and I've read studies that 100% of men on them are effected by it, causing a decrease in both motility and count. Depending on everything before the medication it is enough to make some men infertile.

I'm worried because I'm 33. I don't want to wait a year just to find out that my DH needs to slowly come off this medication under dr supervision and then wait months for his count to improve after that... I'll be 35 by that time...

I guess I just need to vent.

Weebles, I wouldn't be worried about it! My hubby used to take Citalopram (since he was like 12 or so) and he recently switched to Sertraline (Zoloft). Both of those are SSRIs and he had a sperm analysis a few months ago that came back normal. I was really stressing that he would have something wrong and we would have to both go through some kind of treatments (I have PCOS) but luckily, its just me we have to work on!

My hubs also is, I posted before and got no replies :/ the available studies dont look good but I think one of the human studies only had two men! I did tell DH to tell the doctor at his last review but he's still on them. I'm a few days late for AF at the moment but might be work stress. Using a frer tomorrow if that's bfn then its unlikely to be a late bloomer!

Thanks for your post peterpanwendy, we must've posted at the same time!

Haha, looks like we did! I had never thought to look for a study on that; my hubby smokes so I was sure that would affect his sperm count, but no, it's normal! Besides, with me being emotional and taking hormones and being frustrated about not being able to get pregnant, I think he needs to stay on his meds or we will drive each other crazy!!

Thank you both for replying. It's relieving even for me that his count was normal peterpanwendy, it gives me some hope.

Just wondering if anyone has had success conceiving while their hubby or SO was on SSRI depression medication. This is our third cycle trying and I've read studies that 100% of men on them are effected by it, causing a decrease in both motility and count. Depending on everything before the medication it is enough to make some men infertile.

I'm worried because I'm 33. I don't want to wait a year just to find out that my DH needs to slowly come off this medication under dr supervision and then wait months for his count to improve after that... I'll be 35 by that time...

I guess I just need to vent.

I didn't know this. My husband is on one and has been since childhood, but he just started taking steps to wean himself off for reasons unrelated to fertility. (Too bad he can't fix his thyroid the same way, haha)

I just looked around at studies myself and it seems the results are inconclusive, largely due to the lack of quality studies that exist. So it may or may not affect fertility. Your best course of action is likely to just have your partner get his tested if you are worried, if possible.

Weebles: You're welcome! Like I said, he's been on them since he was a kid, like arturia's hubby. So if SSRIs had a negative effect, seems like my hubby's sperm count wouldn't have been normal. And I agree with arturia, it's definitely worth it to have him do a sperm analysis. It can put your worries at ease, and if there is a problem, you can go ahead and start working to fix it instead of waiting and having to deal with it later. It was a huge relief when we got his results back.

I think that's exactly what I'll do if we do not end up conceiving this month.. But for now I will try and not worry so much about it. :)

Hi ladies just thought I'd come back and update, i got a very strong bfp on Saturday, cycle 11. Not sure if DHs fluoextine delayed the process at all but so relieved, I was expecting that it would turn out to have the same effect as the studies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->