St Johns Worts, STOPPING PERIOD????

bexbaby

Reaction score
Hi ladies, ive been taking st johns worts for my anxiety and panic attacks for the past 4-5 weeks now. when i first started taking it i was on my period and my period was normal. so i carried on taking them as usual. i always come on on time every month like clock work, im always due on on the 6th of every month give or take a day but still ive had no period :| instantly when i was late i did a pregnancy test but it came up negative ill probably do another one in a week or so if my period hasnt started again. but i highly doubt im pregnant myself an partner are very careful and always take precautions (as i dont take the pill due to server migraines) but the only thing i can put it down to it the st johns worts. ive googled it (stupid i know) and its came up with differnt answers like it wont stop them, and they will make periods irregular but im so confused.

if anyone taking st johns worts can help me with this it would be much appreciated just to give me piece of mind. also just to whether its a good idea to go the doctors and tell him whats happening.

i dont really want to stop taking the herbal medicine because its really helped my panic attacks and anxiety, but if thats what i have to do to make my periods happen again well so be it.

It -COULD- be the St. John's Wort; and I say the following with the full disclaimer that I am not a medical expert and don't give medical advice.

I loved St. John's Wort in college and I began taking it in combination with melatonin that I was taking at .5 mg a night. I stopped having my period in month 3 and was not sexually active. Ultimately I let it go on like that for a year, then quit taking the combination of St. John's and Melatonin after an argument with my mother over taking herbal medications. Within a month I got my period back and was put on birth control, which again stopped my periods all together. I hated the birth control because it drove me into a state of total lunacy. I never went back on anything for daily use - although I took melatonin occasionally to sleep better. I have had periods every 32-34 days since.

You have to remember that some of these herbal drugs are indeed capable of effecting brain chemistry and hormones. That's a fact. Thus it could have an impact on a woman's cycle.

If the St. John's Wort is helping you - be careful just cutting loose off it. I'd say talk to your GP or weaning yourself down verses just going cold turkey since it is, well, nature's version of a happy pill. But that's from anecdotal experience coming off it like it wasn't a big deal (it was). I really wish I hadn't stopped the St. John's Wort - and will probably start taking it once my twins are born.

And, to be frank, I never minded not having my period... I love it now that I'm pregnant and totally period free! No Witch! LOL.

Granted, I still didn't take the St. John's Wort alone - but I feel that it had its own weird and powerful side effects. It was VERY helpful in keeping me in a sunny mood... even when I was stuck in a lab for endless hours every-single-day.

Perhaps you can wait a bit longer and if it doesn't arrive plan to see your Doc before you quit using it?

Have you looked into other options? Like SAM-e... I take this, because I am on the pill and St. Johns wart interacts with the pill... you don't have to worry about that interaction, but I've read that SAM-e has similar helpful affects with less interactions or side affects... per Web MD. You could always ask your health care provider what they recommend too- herbal supp wise. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->