Standing...and falling?

sam's mum

mum of two gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Sam's now standing ALL the time, at everything he can possibly find to pull himself up on, but he doesn't know how to get himself back down without falling over (sometimes he's ok and just lands on his bum but sometimes he'll be standing up and just turn round and lean forwards so he'd fall flat on his face if I wasn't there to catch him - I've missed a couple of times :blush:)

We've got hard floors downstairs and I'm worried that he's going to really hurt himself - apart from around the coffee table as we've got a big rug - but surely I shouldn't be standing behind him ready to catch him all the time? Obviously he needs to learn that he can't just dive onto the floor or let go when he feels like it and smash his face on whatever he was holding onto, and I don't want him to hurt himself when he does let go...

What do other people do? Do you stay with them and watch them until they are more stable and can get back down on their own or do they take longer to learn how to do that if there's always someone there to dive at?!

YAY for standing up sam :happydance:

im not sure about the answer to the second question xx

my OH was constantly behind jack at all times when he was at this stage but i used to say let him explore, like u say they have to learn! but it is a bit scary but he soon got the hang of it and has never been hurt, just make sure u have corner protectors on coffee table and there is nothing in his way and he will get the hang of it x

i just left rhys to learn, we have wooden floors too. only took about 2 days before he realised he had to land on his bum or it would hurt

my OH was constantly behind jack at all times when he was at this stage but i used to say let him explore, like u say they have to learn! but it is a bit scary but he soon got the hang of it and has never been hurt, just make sure u have corner protectors on coffee table and there is nothing in his way and he will get the hang of it x

Thanks. We just bought the coffee table because it's leather (cheap end of line thing so I don't mind a few bite marks on it :laugh2:) so even though it's solid it's not too sharp at the corners and I don't think he'd hurt himself on them. He's looking more stable on his feet after a few days already but I still can't help worrying! Especially with the wooden floors, but most of the time he puts his hands down or keeps holding onto something so he doesn't hurt himself anyway! x

i just left rhys to learn, we have wooden floors too. only took about 2 days before he realised he had to land on his bum or it would hurt

Thank you :D ...hopefully it won't be long before he realises then x

I just let Dec go !!! if he fell he fell, he had to learn!!! Lol we have wooden floors througout as well and everyone kept telling me to buy a big rug, but I felt if he done it often enough he would learn and he did!!! Within the week he had learned that if he was going to fall he would have to fall on his bum or hurt himself. xx

I just let Dec go !!! if he fell he fell, he had to learn!!! Lol we have wooden floors througout as well and everyone kept telling me to buy a big rug, but I felt if he done it often enough he would learn and he did!!! Within the week he had learned that if he was going to fall he would have to fall on his bum or hurt himself. xx

Thanks :D Glad other people have wooden floors too and don't worry too much - doesn't make me feel like such a bad mum for wanting to leave him to learn for himself! x

I was just having this convo with DH last night! Erica is pulling up on everything around the house now, and last night she did on the ottoman of the rocking chair, fell forward and bonked her head! I was so worried (she was fine tho!) but we agreed that we cant cushion her entire world. We are putting padding around our coffee table edges, and a couple of corners that might hurt her, but I think they have to learn hun. I'm amazed because she is not the delicate, fragile little infant that she used to be.
Have you noticed that now that Sam can stand, he is constantly standing? Erica used to be content rolling around, or crawling. Now, she's finding the nearest thing that she can pull up on. I blink and shes growing up more!!

I was just having this convo with DH last night! Erica is pulling up on everything around the house now, and last night she did on the ottoman of the rocking chair, fell forward and bonked her head! I was so worried (she was fine tho!) but we agreed that we cant cushion her entire world. We are putting padding around our coffee table edges, and a couple of corners that might hurt her, but I think they have to learn hun. I'm amazed because she is not the delicate, fragile little infant that she used to be.
Have you noticed that now that Sam can stand, he is constantly standing? Erica used to be content rolling around, or crawling. Now, she's finding the nearest thing that she can pull up on. I blink and shes growing up more!!

That's exactly what he's like! I can't believe how much he seems to have grown up in the last few weeks - he used to be happy just rolling around on the floor but now he needs to be standing! Or sitting if there's nothing to use to stand up but if there's nothing else he's usually climbing up my trouser legs :rofl: x

I have the same dilemma, but my living room/kitchen are in tile. Im dreading the idea of her hitting it face first...so I'm just gonna get a bunch of IKEA rugs and runners everywhere!!!

LOL Erica climbs up us all the time as well! In the morning we usually will bring her into our bed for her morning feed, and let her sleep the rest of the morning with us. This morning I'm lying in bed trying to relax with her, and she is pulling up holding onto my shoulder! (sleeping on my side) Pretty soon they will be walking all over the place, and their will be NO stopping them lol.

I have the same dilemma, but my living room/kitchen are in tile. Im dreading the idea of her hitting it face first...so I'm just gonna get a bunch of IKEA rugs and runners everywhere!!!

Thats a good idea with the rugs. Luckily we have all carpet in the living room where she plays. Our entryway is tile, but I dont really let her over there at all. :dohh: I say that now, once she is walking I have a feeling she will be wherever she wants to be lol.

Maybe I need another trip to Ikea... :D Our hallway and kitchen are tiled and I'm so worried he'll fall on his face!

LOL Erica climbs up us all the time as well! In the morning we usually will bring her into our bed for her morning feed, and let her sleep the rest of the morning with us. This morning I'm lying in bed trying to relax with her, and she is pulling up holding onto my shoulder! (sleeping on my side) Pretty soon they will be walking all over the place, and their will be NO stopping them lol.

Cute! Can't believe how fast they're growing up! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->