Starbucks

Muffin237

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I will be 5 weeks tomorrow and had a question about caffeine. Before I got pregnant I loved going to Starbucks and went daily. Since I found out I'm pregnant, I've changed my order to a grande decafe iced coffee. Do you think that's all right? Definitely missing my daily Starbucks runs.

Thanks!

I think that's fine, the recommended amount is 200mg daily, thats 2 mugs of instant coffee and it's ok to cheat once in a while. So I'd say you're good.

I still have my morning brew every other day, its so tough to give it up

You should be ok. I was the same way with dunkin donuts iced coffee but since getting pregnant I only drink a 12 oz once , maybe twice a week to be on the safe side.

Thank you for the quick replies. I used to get a veinte French vanilla iced coffee, so I feel better that I can at least get a decafe grande. Should I avoid having it each day and maybe just a few times a week, or is there no issue since it's decafe?

Decafe is fine. You're allowed a few cups of caffeine a day (total), actually, so it's all good!

I've read so many awful things about how coffee is decaffeinated that I still drink regular coffee at least once a day. I know that one cup won't hurt me or my baby, and helps me keep sane!

I am more worried about what's in decaf coffee than regular though. But that's just me.

Like the pp poster said, regular coffee is probably better for you than decaf. I've just heard way too many bad things about decaf during pregnancy. One cup of regular caffeinated coffee per day isn't going to hurt you.

The way Starbucks decaf is processed is actually ok for you. It's not put in chemicals, but is water processed. Either way you should be ok :)

I had such a bad coffee craving at first! Then suddenly at 8 weeks it just repulsed me!!! So you never know!!! May not be a problem for long :)

I have Starbucks every day. I just switched to decaf and only have the one cup.

I found this site helpful https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-content/starbucks-tall-decaf-coffee

Supposedly the more coffee and sugar you have the more active your baby will be when they're born???

I have one cup of black coffee with a pinch of sugar in the AM, and then a cup or two of tea with a pinch later if I want. That averages 200 mg or less of caffeine/day.

I have had caramel macchiato from Starbucks since finding out I was pregnant. Now I order a smaller size and don't get extra shots of espresso of course! I have that on the days that I do my grocery shopping (Starbucks IN the grocery store, it's my ritual). So that's once every week or two, and it's my treat so I avoid other caffeinated beverages that day.

This is actually a huge reduction in my normal caffeine intake. If your daily Starbucks is your only caffeine drink- find out how many mg's are in there and double check with your doc. You may be just fine depending.

No, it's not fine! Decaf coffee that is decaffeinated with chemicals (as opposed to water processed or swiss water decaf) is associated with a greater chance of miscarriage. Starbucks decaffeinates their coffee with chemicals. You're actually better off ordering a small regular cup of coffee than drinking decaf.

Get decaf that is decaffeinated with water and not chemicals and it's totally fine though!

The way Starbucks decaf is processed is actually ok for you. It's not put in chemicals, but is water processed. Either way you should be ok :)
That's not true. They use chemicals. They used to do it with more of their decafs, but not anymore. Now only one of them is water processed, but I'd still contact them to make sure it still is.

Q&A about Starbucks decafs: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/h...-starbucks-decaffeinate-their-coffee?page=all

That's not true. They use chemicals. They used to do it with more of their decafs, but not anymore. Now only one of them is water processed, but I'd still contact them to make sure it still is.

Q&A about Starbucks decafs: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/h...-starbucks-decaffeinate-their-coffee?page=all

Oh sorry if i gave wrong info. When i worked there it was Swiss water processed. I haven't checked into it in the past year or so though. Either way, I'm sure everything is ok in moderation if it's ok with your dr :)

Sometimes i think we worry ourselves sick over everything we eat and drink when pregnant and all the
stress can't be too good either.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm addicted to Starbucks, & upon finding out I was pregnant i didn't stop my daily visit there, until sickness took over and I've been completely put off coffee & diverted to tea... Which I hated before lol!!

If you don't want the caffeine or the decaf due to possible chemicals, you can get a tea latte. I usually get the vanilla rooibos latte with no sweetner. It is naturally decaf so you dont have to worry about caffeine or chemicals!

Yeah, totally true about rooibos! There are plenty of coffee shops that sell swiss water decaf, you just have to ask or look up a list online.

The more I'm reading about it it seems the decaf creates more of an environmental problem then any issue with the actual coffee itself. The chemical burns off at 104 degrees and beans are roasted at 400 degrees. So they say there is nothing of the chemical left in the coffee- not even trace amounts. Maybe someone else has more info because my info is coming from a quick google search.

I went today I found a pregnant lady coffee !!
Lol
The lovely man advised me that a one shot Kenya latte has low caffeine it's not decaf but half the level of normal coffee caffeine :)
Oh and it's amazing too !!
Go ladies go !!

Emma

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"