started weaning at 22 weeks... baby gagging as soon as food near his mouth??

Gemmamuk

Reaction score
OK with ds1 we weaned at 17 weeks on advice of HV and gp because of reflux. We had no problems and from the second we started, he guzzled every mouthful. At. 2 years old now, he will eat absolutely anything we put in front of him.

Ds2 is now 22 weeks. He's been an absolute angel baby and had no problems whatsoever with sleeping or weaning or colic. He's still exclusively breastfed. I've tried him with baby rice, porridge, and apple puree. He seems to absolutely hate it?? He pulls a face like I've put acid in his mouth and gags until he's spat it out??

Any ideas where I go from here ladies and gents?? I'm at a loss??

We had started combined feeding ds1 at 13 weeks, so I'm wondering if that's the difference?? Ds2 really hates drinking from a bottle, even expressed breast milk....

Thanks in advance - any ideas appreciated!

I also tried today giving him a really sweet strawberry in a net think but he wouldn't even put it near his mouth?

Maybe just leave it? He's still not quite 6 months yet so if he's not interested then no harm in leaving it for another couple of weeks. You could just let him play with food so he gets used to different textures etc. I know mine often likes to have a good feel of new foods before it goes anywhere near his mouth!

He's still young. I'd just back off and try again in a month or so. There's no need to wean so early and if he's not having it, save the stress and upset for both of you and try again later when he might be more ready. You might also consider trying baby-led weaning if you'll be waiting til he's 6 months. Many babies don't take to spoonfeeding (actually if you can imagine, it must be kinda scary that someone is trying to shove this weird foreign object into your mouth when you've never eaten solids before), but will happily feed themselves finger foods.

His gag reflex is still very far forward, we started with both boys at 6 months, both EBF, my eldest ate everything, lumps didn't bother him, he was on 3 meals within a couple weeks of weaning. My youngest would probably be much better suited to BLW but I TW with finger foods, if anything has a bit of consistency he gags, he full on vomited the other day from feeding himself, he's not fussed with food so much. My point just being both boys have been brought up exactly the same but are taking to weaning very differently. As the others say I would wait a few weeks and try again, might be worth looking into BLW but I admit I'm not patient enough for that but I read the Gill Rapley book and it's very good, makes a lot of sense.

He's probably not ready yet. If he's not interested then just leave it. Mine didn't really take to solids until 8 months.

Your LO might not be ready for solids yet by the sounds of it. I would have a break for a few weeks and try again. Some don't take to solids until much later :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->