Starting big school.

megailsa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m working on an article about the transition from primary to secondary school, focussing on children growing into teens and the changes and behaviours that come with it.

Does anyone have any stories, anecdotes or insights about how your child changed after starting secondary school or what habits they might have picked up there?

Thanks in advance.

My oldest is starting 1st grade, so no experience here yet!

I might be able to contribute something here! I have 5 kids, all are in school. My oldest son is 11 and is heading to Middle School for 6th grade and I'm panicking! He's small for his age and very skinny. To top it off, he has an attitude that worries me sometimes. He has trouble letting things roll off his back. My youngest daughter is 5 and she's heading into Kindergarten so this will be her first year going all day. My step-son's mom decided this year she wants him to go to the school closest to her. He's 10 and this will be the first year he won't have his brothers or sister in the same school so I'm worried about him. He's a big people pleaser so I'm sure he'll do fine with the teacher's, but it's always hard to be "the new kid". My other son, who will be 10 when school starts, and my other daughter who's 8, will still be in the same school for the next couple years. My oldest son did really well transitioning from his early elementary to the regular elementary. He was excited and happy, feeling grown lol. He had a couple great teachers his first couple years (2nd and 3rd grade), but didn't care for his 4th grade teacher. At that point, he kind of took on the attitude of "I don't like my teacher so I'm not gonna do my work" attitude. This last couple years (4th and 5th grade) have been a struggle for both myself as a parent and him as a boy/young man. He's growing up so it's all new territory for me as a mom. Middle school means a lot of big changes for BOTH of us. Hope I've helped at least a little!

Thanks for getting back to me with such a detailed response - really useful! How do you manage to get them all ready in time in the mornings - it must be really hectic!

Hubby is the one that does the morning stuff. My 11yr old gets up about 30 minutes before the other kids because he's ADHD and has a hard time dealing with others in the morning so we just make him get up earlier. It seems to work. The other kids all ride the same bus and my 10 yr old is the quickest one to get ready. He loves school and hates waiting so he's done with his stuff before my 8 yr old DD is even awake lol. They go to the bus and then it's time for my youngest to get ready. Everything's gonna change this year tough. Hubby got a new job and he'll be gone before the kids have to get on the bus. He'll get my oldest on the bus, but then it's all me. It's hectic, but it's really not that bad. I'm terrified and excited for the school year to start...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->