Starting running- how long until I don't hate it

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I've started running in a bid to boost my pre-wedding weight loss, which seems to have plateaued. I'm not a runner at all- I can walk long distances but running is a complete shock to the system. I'm starting very slowly- last night I went once round the block, tonight I did it twice, tomorrow I'll try for three times. Nothing extreme at all, but it really hurts my chest and I feel like I'm gonna be sick when I finish. What I want to know is how long will I have to put up with it before I start to enjoy running? Has anyone else started from being totally unfit and have any tips?

I've been running for 8 years, and there are times when I still hate it...! :)
Well done on getting out there. It does get easier eventually - give it a few weeks.
xx

I've been contemplating starting running but I'm a bit scared. I don't do any form of exercise what so ever! Is it really that bad?!

Hahahaha :) It always takes me a couple of weeks - Then i enjoy it. Then I don't do it for a week, and i give in! haha. x

Lol I really do hate it. It's my worst kind of sport. I prefer spinning!

Run like kermit the frog/phoebe from Friends

'Me, I’m more free. You know, I run like I did when I was a kid because that’s the only way it’s fun. You know? I mean, didn’t you even run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? You know, like when you were running towards the swings, or running away from Satan?'

Phoebe Buffay

I decided I was going to make myself like running, so I committed to it four times a week for six months.

I did get a lot better at it but at the end of six months I still hated it so I quit and took up yoga. :haha: Not sure how long you have till your wedding but if its less than six months, maybe you don't have to learn to love running, just to grit your teeth and put up with it for a few months.

I enjoy running more when I plug myself into my music. I'm a fair weather runner though and can't stand the wind or rain :lol:. The sicky feeling gets better, as does the tight chest feeling, you're doing the right thing by easing into it and going a little further each time :).

I can't run without music, it's so boring! I can't remember ever properly hating it though, maybe try something else? :) it does get better though once you can run for more than 3 minutes without stopping :haha: I really miss running!

I have started running as part of my gym routine (with Lordi helping :haha:) Me and a couple of friends are doing Tough Mudder next year :thumbup:

The day I start running will be the day hell freezes over lol.

I don't do running.

There are various programs out there for beginners, ie couch to 5k, which ease you into it. Never run after eating and I would get fitted for suitable footwear if your intending on making this more permanent. I used to hate running too, could never understand why anyone would and now I run 5 miles most days and absolutely love it!

Make sure your eating right. You need the right foods to give you energy, otherwise your likely to have a dip and want to stop and it will feel harder than it needs to.

We have a treadmill, and I do short bursts of fast running, then jogging. This is apparently a good way to strip fat xx

Been goping to the gym properly for 2 weeks (every other day) and my treadmill bit is 2mins fast walking 1 min running. Today i was in my own world on the running bit and nearly flew off the end when it slowed down :blush:

Listening to music while running really took my mind off what I was doing and I started to really enjoy putting on the beats and running to it I realised I ran longer while listening to music aswell as it took my mind of it. I found it to be a great stress reliever to :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->