Starting school

sw2129

Reaction score
Hi all, not sure where to start really. My LO will be starting school after the Easter term, he is 4. I'm not sure what he should know before he goes. He has behaviour problems, which we are trying to sort with HV at the mo, and will not concentrate. He can count and know colours. He cant write doesn't recognise numbers or letters. He can just about draw a face. We also have problems trying to get him to go for a no.2. He will dirty and not tell us then take ages to get his to go to the toilet. Im worried what the teachers might think because he knows very little. We have tried everything, i think?

Any advice would be fab. Thanks

does he have to go at 4?

in regards to his knowledge, it is an advantage to know things before school but not really an essential as every child is treated like a blank canvas anyway

toilet wise if it were mine i would be more inclined to hold back school a bit and give him a chance

Yes he does have to go :/ I was thinking of going and talking to his teacher and see what she has to say. Hopefully they will have some more advice. Im sure they see it quite often lol

Thanks for your reply :flower:

all areas are different, up here they have to turn 4 before the end of february to start in august of that year

i would be at the gp hun and push for some help

Definately talk to his teacher!

When Madeleine started school she could count to ten, and write the letter 'M'.

Madeleine's been at school since September (full time) and she has JUST started reading simple words.

Her teacher says that in the first year it's completely normal for some children to be very much 'behind' like Madeleine and others to be really fast learners. At the start of the second year they start giving extra help to the kids who are further behind, but they don't diagnose any special needs until the end of the second year.

I would talk to the teacher about the toilet issue but i wouldn't about how much your lo knows. The teachers at my little boys school prefer them to know as little as possible - i.e. count 1-10, know their colours, maybe know what their name begins with.
Daniel started sept last year and he was 4y 3weeks old. He know the above and thats it. He couldn't' draw a smily face or anything like that. Now though he's doing really well and you wouldn't know that he was so far behind his peers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->