Starting Temping this week! Please help :)

OwlBump

Hubby, Son and Bump
Reaction score
Hey again everyone, After a bit of advice and 8 months trying to get our first special bump.

I've just ordered myself a "Digital Basal Body Thermometer" with a chart and some ovulation test strips as they were really cheap online they should be with me by Wednesday.

I was just wondering if there any ways to get the most accurate results?

Any iPhone apps i can use to record this rather than paper chart? :coffee:

Any help Would be so helpful!

Hi Owl Bump

I am new to charting myself, but from my own personal experience and what I have read it is important to take your temperature at the same time every morning. Set your alarm for the same time each morning and make sure the thermometer is close to you (i put mine under my pillow. Even reaching for it on the bedside table can skew the temps (so I've read). Also i've read that taking the temp vaginally gives a more accurate result (that is what I do), but orally is fine, just make sure that whatever method you use, stick to it throughout the cycle.

Regarding OPKs, if you are using the strips, use your urine from early afternoon (I test around 2pm), as first morning urine will probably not have enough of the hormone present to give an accurate result.

Fertility friend is a wonderful app to use to track your progress and you can also use it on your pc too. Ovuview is also another good one. You have to pay to use the full app, but in order to help get that baby, i feel it is worth the money. There's probably a lot of free ones available so take a look.

Will you be checking your cervical mucus, as this is also a good way of knowing when your ovulate?

Hope this helps

Good luck!

Thanks for all the information smb :) I did read about it being important to take your readings the same time everyday and like you said i was planning to set a bedside alarm and i will have the thermometer under my pillow to be on the safe side!

I'll check out both FF and Ovuview :D I heard from a friend that using www.countdowntopregnancy.com can be helpful but i dont know if i'd record correctly as there's no mobile app :/

I'm not sure if i will use the OPK's really i just thought as i was ordering i'd grab a few hehe.

I hadn't thought about actively checking CM, i have in past months took more notice of my CM. I think i will certainly have a go at keeping track of it this month :)

Thanks again for the help

I am so glad you asked this question. AF is due tomorrow and if she comes I think I will be paying more attn to my body to track ovulation so I can get that BFP!!

SMB do you have any suggestions for a brand of thermometer?

Hi Royal Goddess

I dont think the brand really matters, once it is a Basel Body Temperature Thermometer. I ordered mine quite cheaply off ebay. In the UK they are quite expensive in drug stores, in the US you might find it in Walgreens or CVS.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck to all!

You could read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's an amazing book about charting. That's how I got started. It stresses monitoring your cervical fluid too, since that will tell you when you are about to ovulate and it's time to BD! I also use OPKs, but I only like the digital ones.

I second Fertility Friend as a good online charting tool if you don't want to use paper.

I keep my thermometer on my night stand. For the most accurate temp, use the naked thermometer, no cover. You can just wipe it with rubbing alcohol to clean it after you get up.

I'll have a look at Fertility friend now and make myself an account.

I'm sure i read somewhere that said the first 2 months you do temp chart its most inaccurate until you can see a pattern on multiple months?

Edit:

So i just tried to join Fertility Friend and it said "Unfortunately your request for membership could not be processed favorably at this time.
If you have a friend who is already a member you may want to ask her to invite you using the FertilityFriend.com's referral program."

Oh bummer :S

Hey Owl Bump

How weird FF wouldnt allow you to join. I'm happy to refer you if you want. Just send me a private message with your email address (i think this is what I need). Us girls need to stick together right.

Thanks SMB i got it to work in the end :) I downnloaded the iPhone app and it let me join from there

It certainly looks interesting, cant wait for my thermometer to arrive ^^

OwlBump

I'm glad you got it sorted in the end. The good thing is that you can use other apps to compare until you find one that your comfortable with. I'm using 2 at the moment. Baby dust to everyone.

*Excited*

Heeey all, so just now my package came :D I'm going to start temping tomorrow, not really sure why i'm so excited about a thermometer but i am ^^

I got the Fertility Friend app and i'm just looking for a couple more but i think i'll stick to FF It looks easy to use and i really like the charting lessons it has

:dust:

OwlBump

Dont worry, youre not alone. I felt exactly the same. Getting excited over a digital thermometer. How sad am I, lol. Have you decided how you will take your temp. orally or Vaginally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->