• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Static growth 36-38 weeks

LoneWanderer

Reaction score
Midwife two weeks ago measured me dead on - 36cm at 36 weeks - after coming in above the curve all the way along.
Today she's still coming up with 36cm at 37+5.
So I'm in for a growth scan later today. Not sure whether to be impressed at their efficiency or worried that they've booked it so quickly...?

Baby seems fine - still moving about anyway. Felt like she took longer than usual to locate a heartbeat, but she did find it, and it seemed alright.
I'm generally alright - in fact yesterday I felt better than I have in ages, can only guess baby moving down a bit has freed up some space. Still getting the Braxton Hicks regularly - I think that's what they are anyway - and I've got a bit more energy than usual. But that always worries me, feeling okay - I'd rather feel crap, at least then I feel pregnant, if you know what I mean haha!

Anyone had same thing? I've been stressing about a big baby - now they tell me its small - god knows what I'll actually get and when it will come...!

:rofl:

I'm guessing it is because of baby engaging your bump is appearing smaller(if baby has engaged yet)! Exactly the same thing happening to me, bump was always measuring ahead, and as of Monday, measuring a week behind, so at 31+2 bump measured 30cms, but when my midwife checked he has actually engaged further than we was when I was in hospital and making my bump smaller! Hes measuring weeks ahead on scans though and and 30 weeks he was already 5lb, so from experience, I'm guessing engaging has a lot to do with this :)

Ah, excellent stuff.
I'm really hoping it's just that, not least because I hope baby is fine, but also I still have loads to do today - work projects to finish, tidying up to sort, a good long soak in the bath - I haven't got time to be kept in and induced...

Hahaha yes you best get cracking! Im guessing they are scanning you just to make sure baby hasn't slowed down growth to which then yeah induction would possibly be on the cards for you! But in my experience this time around, it was purely to do with engaging! Let's hope it's just baby being engaged causing it so you can finish off your projects lol!

I had the same thing. I was always spot on and then baby engaged and suddenly boom. Smaller.

I don't think you should be worried that they booked it so quick. They usually do for these kind scan. I had one too.

This happened to me with my 3rd. He was just engaged i think, he was born a week later weighing 9lb 13oz and perfectly healthy.

Okay so am back from the scan.
All fine, they've put the measurements back at the top of the chart - estimating 7lb 11oz at this stage (nearly 38 weeks). They want me to see antenatal clinic next week if I haven't had baby. Head is now starting to drop - 4/5 engaged so not far at all but some change from last week - and no issues with measurements, heartbeat, cord, placenta or anything else.
Just a massive baby, as I already knew.

Okay so am back from the scan.
All fine, they've put the measurements back at the top of the chart - estimating 7lb 11oz at this stage (nearly 38 weeks). They want me to see antenatal clinic next week if I haven't had baby. Head is now starting to drop - 4/5 engaged so not far at all but some change from last week - and no issues with measurements, heartbeat, cord, placenta or anything else.
Just a massive baby, as I already knew.

4/5ths engaged is almost fully engaged isn't it? 5/5ths engaged is fully engaged? If its 4/5th palpable that means less of baby is engaged than it is... Correct me if I'm wrong! Glad the scan was okay! See them bloody tape measurements are a pile of shit lol

4/5ths engaged is almost fully engaged isn't it? 5/5ths engaged is fully engaged? If its 4/5th palpable that means less of baby is engaged than it is... Correct me if I'm wrong! Glad the scan was okay! See them bloody tape measurements are a pile of shit lol

See, this baffles me too coz some things online say 4/5 means 1 part engaged and four to go... other things say 4 parts engaged and one to go. As far as I could tell from midwife she means the lesser end of the scale, so just started to drop in. Ridiculous system.

And yes, it's 2019, some woman with a tape measure is the best they can do? :rofl:

See, this baffles me too coz some things online say 4/5 means 1 part engaged and four to go... other things say 4 parts engaged and one to go. As far as I could tell from midwife she means the lesser end of the scale, so just started to drop in. Ridiculous system.

And yes, it's 2019, some woman with a tape measure is the best they can do? :rofl:

I done so much googling into this on my last baby because my old midwife used the 'palpable' measurement and my previous midwife used the 'engaged ' measurement AND even they get the two mixed up!

Basically this is going to mess your brain up but I'll try and explain as easy as possible! Palpable and enganged work on opposites. So let's say baby was 1/5th engaged, so only part 1 of the baby is in the pelvis, the remaining 4 parts are outside the pelvis, 4/5th engaged is 4 parts of the baby is in the pelvis and 1 part out of the pelvis, so 4/5ths is almost fully engaged.

NOW what they confuse people is when they use palpable, if baby was 4/5ths palpable, it means 4 parts of the baby is outside of the pelvis, and only 1 part of the baby is in the pelvis so it works on opposites to engaged.

So 4/5ths engaged would be 1/5th palpable, 2/5ths engaged would be 3/5ths palpable... does that make sense, it's such a bloody nightmare to get your head around hahaha

I done so much googling into this on my last baby because my old midwife used the 'palpable' measurement and my previous midwife used the 'engaged ' measurement AND even they get the two mixed up!

Basically this is going to mess your brain up but I'll try and explain as easy as possible! Palpable and enganged work on opposites. So let's say baby was 1/5th engaged, so only part 1 of the baby is in the pelvis, the remaining 4 parts are outside the pelvis, 4/5th engaged is 4 parts of the baby is in the pelvis and 1 part out of the pelvis, so 4/5ths is almost fully engaged.

NOW what they confuse people is when they use palpable, if baby was 4/5ths palpable, it means 4 parts of the baby is outside of the pelvis, and only 1 part of the baby is in the pelvis so it works on opposites to engaged.

So 4/5ths engaged would be 1/5th palpable, 2/5ths engaged would be 3/5ths palpable... does that make sense, it's such a bloody nightmare to get your head around hahaha

Haha cheers for explaining.
Madness, utter madness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back