Staying at home against medical advice.....

Mum22GTTC

Reaction score
What's is going to happen?

I mean I know it's my right to give birth where I want & I know the risks (I have done my research & I'm happy with my decision), so how is this going to pan out when I tell the MW I've decided I will be staying at home and going against their advice?

Hope someone has some experience :flower:

Why do they advice not staying home?
I have no experience to help you out with. Did you sign something from them and does it saying anything about it? Maybe you can sign something for them that says they aren't liable if something does go wrong? If they aren't willing to help you with your birth do you still have time to find someone who can and will help you give birth at home?

Nothing will happen. They might want you to see the consultant so they can try to dissuade you, but you don't have to see or speak to anyone that you don't feel will be supportive of your choices. Just tell them what's happening, and they have to provide exactly the same standard of care to you as they would a woman who was 'compliant'

My mum wanted a home birth with her second after her having first baby in hospital and they said no, so she listened to them (which was actually the right thing to do as my brother was born blue and needed medical attention which wouldn't of been available if she's stayed at home).
With me as the third, again they said no because of her first and second births, so again she listened. With my sister she stood by her guns about having a home birth even though they tried to explain about her other 3 labours weren't great. She ended up having to find her own midwife who'd support her. But she said she wished she hadn't listened to them before as she loved her home birth and wished she could do it again.
I too want a home birth with my baby even if they say they don't think I should. I only will if there are medical reasons why.
What reasons did they give? xx

Nothing will happen. They might want you to see the consultant so they can try to dissuade you, but you don't have to see or speak to anyone that you don't feel will be supportive of your choices. Just tell them what's happening, and they have to provide exactly the same standard of care to you as they would a woman who was 'compliant'

Thank you - just on the off chance do you know of anybody haivg given birth at home with excess amniotic fluid? (polyhydramnios), as that is why I've been told I cannot give birth at home. A consultant wrote in my notes today "Not suitable for home delivery", the reason being risk of cord prolapse. Seeing my MW tomorrow who last week told me, if the fluid doesn't reduce then I cannot have the HB.

I'm 37+4 now & I'm just so confused/frustrated/upset. I really feel no different to my other 3 pregnancies, outwardly I have no symptoms of excess water (it was only picked up because I was sent for a growth scan due to measuring small :dohh: - & I'm still measuring 33cm at 37 weeks!!!), but now appartently baby is on 90th percentile & I have excess water, I'm just finding it hard to believe that is true.

I hope you don't mind me adding a question to piggyback off your original one, since it's kinda related. I'm not even at the point where they can advise or not advise against home birth (it was discussed at my booking appt and since I'm 'low risk' at this point I'm considered a good candidate, but who knows what will happen). But I've been wondering what happens if you get to the point where they say no, but you plan to do it anyway, but because they've said no, they haven't done the assessment or dropped off any of the kit or given you a list of things to prepare for the day. What happens when you call and tell them they need to send someone? Do they know to bring everything with them? Is there a way to make sure you are prepared and have anything they might not bring (since obviously you might not know what you need because it wasn't discussed)? Or do you tell them in advance what you plan to do and they comply and get you all set up anyway with the understanding that's what you plan to do, even though it's 'against medical advice'? How does in usually work? Sorry, hope you don't mind me jumping in!

^^ They would have to do a home assessment and drop off a pack regardless of their thoughts on your homebirth, if you had informed them prior to the time what your intentions were.

I don't have personal knowledge of anyone home birthing with polyhydramnios, but I am a member of a FB home birth support group which I can point you in the right direction of should you wish to speak to others about it :thumbup:

xxx

^^ They would have to do a home assessment and drop off a pack regardless of their thoughts on your homebirth, if you had informed them prior to the time what your intentions were.

I don't have personal knowledge of anyone home birthing with polyhydramnios, but I am a member of a FB home birth support group which I can point you in the right direction of should you wish to speak to others about it :thumbup:

xxx

Yes please, that would be great. I'm only slightly over the 'limit' with the water and it's actually decreased over the past week, so I think if I get to 40 weeks (I've gone over with my others, so may even go over) then I'll be in the normal range anyway. But would be nice to to know of someone else that's been in the same position :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->