Step dad has to pay £250 to get his van back..

J

Jem88

My step dad and little brother got stopped by the police on sunday because apparently it was coming up that my step dad didn't have a valid license and because it was a sunday they couldn't phone up DVLA to check so they took his van.

My step dad does have a valid license and the police are saying because it came up that he didn't it's now in the hands of the car pound/place it's being kept and they can't do anything about it. So it's going to cost my mum and step dad nearly £250 to get his van back for something that wasn't his fault.

My mum said today that there's nothing they can do apart from try and find the money to get his van back at the weekend. My step dad doesn't finish work till 7.00pm each weeknight so he can't get the van until then so it's obv costing them £20 a day until they collect it. My mum said even if he went and got it back the same day he'd still have to pay £150 which is still ridiculous as he does have a license.

Is there anything they can do? I don't think there is but thought i'd ask? x

That's a ridiculous amount. Is anybody else insured on the van who could pick it up/

Cx

why did they stop him in the first place?

they wouldnt have been able to tell from the ANPR who was driving the vehicle, or what type of license they had so they must have had grounds to stop the van

have they now checked with the DVLA?

Unfortunately you're going to need to stump up the money up front and then attempt to claim it back from the Police.

The ANPR can make mistakes.. I was stopped once for no insurance even though I demonstrated there and then that I did.

It's rubbish but the Police have to make a determination and draw a line somewhere.

One word of advice I would give is to try and get the van picked up asap - the Police may baulk at paying the daily charges over and on top of what could be said to be reasonably incurred- maybe a plod could give a better idea.

Him and my brother we're going to cattrick to take my sisters boyfriends new boots (he's in the army based in cattrick) and apparently my step dad got stopped just as a random check as there was loads of police about because of the appleby fair.

The police checked with DVLA on monday i think and they said they couldn't do anything as it was now out of there hands. Would it be possible to claim the money back from the police? i'll mention it to my mum and step dad. x

It should be possible to claim it back. First things first, get the van back without incurring too many further costs.

Then contact your local constabulary and request information on how to go about claiming - it is likely they'll try and fob you off but keep at them - there will be contingency budgets for this kind of thing, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->