Steps

Nikkinoonoo

Mummy to a gorgeous girl
Reaction score
Hi there ladies,

As most of you will know Jessica was born with a condition called Fibular hemimelia. I have found a charity called STEPS which is for foot and leg disabilities/conditions.
There is a forum on their website and lots of information. I have also joined aq facebook group about Hemimelia awareness.
As far as I know Jessica is the only baby born here with Fibular Hemimelia, but the STEPS page could help others with clubfoot etc.

xXx

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but what is Fibular hemimelia? Is that clubfoot?

Hi no it's quite different Jessica was born with one leg shorter than the other and with a twisted, mishapen two-toed foot.

Heres a medical explaination https://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/fibular_hemimelia_longitudinal_fibular_deficiency

This is Jessicas foot. It was taken in July I really should take a more recent one..
https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/nikkijellybelly/foot2july08.jpg

I have a dear friend online, known her since 1999 and this is the method she used on her daughter, with great success! :)

https://www.ponseti.info/v1/

Oh wow! It looks like a normal little foot too... Can it be fixed? What are the options available?

I just read the treatments. How scary!!! :hug:

No it's a very small twisted little foot with two toes, the only treatment available for Jess is symes amputation. The leg lengthening won't work for Jessica as altho she has movement and feelings in her foot it is too misshapen for her to bear weight on.
We are lucky that she has her knee that side so crawling shouldn't be a problem and also the prosthetic won't need the joint.
We have been told that we can get her falsie on the NHS but if we want a "goodun" we will need to buy it and there are many types... walking, running and even a 'party leg' where the foot is shaped for a high heeled shoe! We are looking at setting up a fund for her and doing boot sales, discos, raffles etc to raise some cash for when the time comes.
I can't wait to see my baby take her first wobbly steps and buy her first pair of shoes and frilly socks as she hasn't been able to wear either.
Thanks for showing an interest in our story :)
xXx

Hi
Hi Steps is great I already speak to them over Matildas Hips and Feet. They are lovely and even throw parties for everyone to get together, I know a few people who go to them.
Matilda as been going through the Ponsetti treatment for her feet she is finally out of pot legs and in boots and bar.
I am sooo sorry they cant do anything for her. The poor little thing. Im sure you will both get through it and be strong her her.
Sending you all my love..
Oh Matilda had that Pink Towelling Outfit how cute is it ... im gutted she no longer fits it.

No it's a very small twisted little foot with two toes, the only treatment available for Jess is symes amputation. The leg lengthening won't work for Jessica as altho she has movement and feelings in her foot it is too misshapen for her to bear weight on.
We are lucky that she has her knee that side so crawling shouldn't be a problem and also the prosthetic won't need the joint.
We have been told that we can get her falsie on the NHS but if we want a "goodun" we will need to buy it and there are many types... walking, running and even a 'party leg' where the foot is shaped for a high heeled shoe! We are looking at setting up a fund for her and doing boot sales, discos, raffles etc to raise some cash for when the time comes.
I can't wait to see my baby take her first wobbly steps and buy her first pair of shoes and frilly socks as she hasn't been able to wear either.
Thanks for showing an interest in our story :)
xXx

The day she walks will be an extra special day indeed! I can't wait to see pics of it! Be sure to show us! :)

Thanks ladies, I'm sure you'll know when Jess first walks, you'll hear me screaming and cheering lol. Thanks again it's nice to come here and talk to you girls xXx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->