Steroid Injection

ickle pand

Mum of 1
Reaction score
I have to get a steroid injection into my shoulder tomorrow for chronic inflammation caused by arthritis and bursitis and I'm a bit nervous about it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had it and what I can expect.

My appointment was made over the phone on Tuesday and it just happened that they had a cancellation for Friday so I've not had much time to research. I was expecting to have to wait 4 weeks on the NHS.

I was told not to drive because I'll need to rest it, so DH has taken the day off work to drive me but that's about it. I want to go shopping but I don't know if I'll be in pain afterwards or what.

Any advice?

Hello :wave:

My boyfriend has arthritis (hes only 21) and has had it for 10 years. He has steroid injections in his knuckles every 6 months. The smaller the joint the more painful he has told me which is great news for your shoulder. He has also tried one in his ankle!. My advice would be to rest…it does hurt but my boyfriend says the worst part is the stiffness for a while. His pain in his knuckles is 90% better by the next day and his arthritis pain has completely gone after 24 hours. 

It will be generally quite quick and try to remain calm. ( easier said than done I know!).

Give your shoulder time to help itself and fingers crossed you will feel the benefit!

If you have any more questions just let me know . Iv been there first hand for the past 6 years.

My boyfriend now has an infusion to control his arthritis and it’s the first time in 6 years hes been able to run 

All the luck in the world to you :flower:

Thanks for that advice. I know it needs to get done if I want to get some relief and it was left to me to make the decision rather than it being pushed on me which I think helps. I think I'll do any shopping beforehand so we can just go home afterwards. I can always go on Saturday or Sunday if I feel up to it.

Is it retuximub that your BF gets for his arthritis now?

No i think that has something to do with cancer...

he has the infliximab infusions. Unfortunatly you need to exhaust every other possible option except surgery for the hospital to give you inflixiamb.

Good luck for the steroid. The pain is not for long and you will feel so much better! :)

It does, but it's also used to treat RA. My SIL was given it, after having to apply for funding and having to meet certain criteria because it's so expensive, and unfortunately had a severe allergic reaction to it and spent 5 days in the HDU trying to get it flushed out of her system so it was no use to her.

The injection went reasonably well. It really hurt for a split second as she put the needle in but I didn't really feel either the anaesthetic or the actual steriod parts. My DH told me that the needle was completely in my shoulder, no wonder he was looking so pale afterwards lol! I'm noticing a small improvement so far, hopefully it'll just get better and better now.

excellent, i hope it all works out well for you :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"