Steroid Questions

pardalis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I had a rescue cerclage put in at 21+6 and I am pleased to report that I'm still pregnant at 25+2. Every extra day pregnant is such a relief. I was in hospital for 3 weeks but now at home on strict orders to take it easy as I am testing positive for fetal fibronectin.

I had the steroid shots (dexamethasone) on 12th and 13th October and I have a question about them. I understand they are a one off but I don't understand whether they still benefit the baby if you are still pregnant weeks after having them. I read somewhere that the greatest benefit is 2-7 days after the injection.

I'm just worried that if baby is born between now and 36 weeks (which is almost guaranteed), then he won't experience the benefits of the steroids. Or have the steroids done their job and strengthened my baby's lungs already to as best as they could be?

I am very fortunate to be having my care at St Thomas' and I attend the Premature labour clinic every Wednesday for a cervical scan and ffn test so I will ask next time I go. But if anyone here knows, I would appreciate the information.

Many thanks to you all

the steroids do the ob and thats it, I had these too at 21 weeks and 28 weeks and then Ellie was born at 32 weeks and she didnt need any help breathing at allx

Hi Everyone,

I had a rescue cerclage put in at 21+6 and I am pleased to report that I'm still pregnant at 25+2. Every extra day pregnant is such a relief. I was in hospital for 3 weeks but now at home on strict orders to take it easy as I am testing positive for fetal fibronectin.

I had the steroid shots (dexamethasone) on 12th and 13th October and I have a question about them. I understand they are a one off but I don't understand whether they still benefit the baby if you are still pregnant weeks after having them. I read somewhere that the greatest benefit is 2-7 days after the injection.

I'm just worried that if baby is born between now and 36 weeks (which is almost guaranteed), then he won't experience the benefits of the steroids. Or have the steroids done their job and strengthened my baby's lungs already to as best as they could be?

I am very fortunate to be having my care at St Thomas' and I attend the Premature labour clinic every Wednesday for a cervical scan and ffn test so I will ask next time I go. But if anyone here knows, I would appreciate the information.

Many thanks to you all

I also had 3 scans a week at the fetal monitoring unit and an amnio and everything else that was going as they thought Ellie had edwards or pacauds syndrome and wouldnt live very long xx

Thanks for the reply. So you had 2 lots? Is that because the efficacy of the first lot would've worn out?

I had 2 steroid injections a day apart then my beautiful little man was born at 25+6 weighing 2lb 1oz, he did make efforts to breath himself but they ventillated him, but only for 12 hrs then he was breathing all by himself with the help of cpap (oxygen) i believe the steriods did help. x

Has the clinic explained to you just how unreliable the positive ffn tests are? They are so easy to be scared by but I had 4 positives in my full term preganancy and i went overdue. Negatives are reliable though. I know - such a weird thing!

I see the use of ffn tests is growing but here in the UK they are still in testing via trials. Lots of women seem to be freaking out with them (I know I did!) but please be reassured!

Oh yes, I'm well researched on ffn tests :laugh2:

All of mine have been positive so far which is a bit grrrrrr but not unexpected given the rescue cerclage so I've been told.

I'm on the Opptimum trial which for me means the ffn tests and a daily vaginal pessary which may or may not contain progesterone. That bit is frustrating because there's a 50% chance I'm shoving nothing up there every night!! But I'm happy to help the trial because the care I've been given is excellent.

This baby will be premature but I could be lucky and make 30+ weeks

I'm just intrigued about these steroids now...

Thanks for the reply. So you had 2 lots? Is that because the efficacy of the first lot would've worn out?

I got 2 lots just to be on the safe side, I got 4 jags the first time all 4 hours apart and same the second time x

I got 2 lots just to be on the safe side, I got 4 jags the first time all 4 hours apart and same the second time x

Thanks - I'll definitely be asking this week. This baby will be coming out with muscles like Pop Eye after all the steroids!!!

Thanks - I'll definitely be asking this week. This baby will be coming out with muscles like Pop Eye after all the steroids!!!

lol there not that kind of steroids haha but I thought that too, how many weeks are you they dont normally give them after 34 weeks as baby is good to go lol xx

oh and keep me informed of how you and the baby get on!!!! Good luck

Oh yes, I'm well researched on ffn tests :laugh2:

All of mine have been positive so far which is a bit grrrrrr but not unexpected given the rescue cerclage so I've been told.

I'm on the Opptimum trial which for me means the ffn tests and a daily vaginal pessary which may or may not contain progesterone. That bit is frustrating because there's a 50% chance I'm shoving nothing up there every night!! But I'm happy to help the trial because the care I've been given is excellent.

This baby will be premature but I could be lucky and make 30+ weeks

I'm just intrigued about these steroids now...

That's exactly the trial I was on! And if it gives you any hope, I went to 40+2 after having my 27weekr - so it can be done. I do like the trial because you are having that little bit of extra care you know what i mean? :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am going to the clinic in the morning and will ask what the protocol is there for steroids.

I'll definitely let you all know how I get on. I hopefully won't be joining you all very soon

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am going to the clinic in the morning and will ask what the protocol is there for steroids.

I'll definitely let you all know how I get on. I hopefully won't be joining you all very soon

hope you get on ok and yeah hope I dont see you over at baby club for a few weeks yet, although if baby is born all will be ok xx

Well - it wasn't great news. I'm down to 6mm of cervix and I've been admitted back into hospital.

So. I have a new milestone. 26 weeks. Which is Friday. Fingers crossed we get that far. I'm trying to get all prepared mentally for a very premature baby.

Well - it wasn't great news. I'm down to 6mm of cervix and I've been admitted back into hospital.

So. I have a new milestone. 26 weeks. Which is Friday. Fingers crossed we get that far. I'm trying to get all prepared mentally for a very premature baby.

oh no wish it was better news!!! if you need to chat message me and al give you my mobile number. One thing I would suggest that I think helped me was ask to see the NICU its not as scary as you might think, we were told Ellie would be born by 28 weeks and she last to 33, you just never know, relax xx

I'm feeling ok this morning. I've realised that for me the danger is just the mechanics of having an incompetant cervix. I'm not feeling like I'll be going into labour any time soon.

I haven't seen the NICU here but my last baby was in one and I can remember the premature babies in there. At the time, my full term 8lb 4oz baby was the hugest one in there but sadly he was the most poorly and died at 9 days. I can remember thinking how the premature babies were in such a better position than he was and wishing that prematurity was his problem. And here I am now!

I'm feeling ok this morning. I've realised that for me the danger is just the mechanics of having an incompetant cervix. I'm not feeling like I'll be going into labour any time soon.

I haven't seen the NICU here but my last baby was in one and I can remember the premature babies in there. At the time, my full term 8lb 4oz baby was the hugest one in there but sadly he was the most poorly and died at 9 days. I can remember thinking how the premature babies were in such a better position than he was and wishing that prematurity was his problem. And here I am now!

yeah some babies in with Ellie were 8 and 9lbs and she was 3lbs, I know what you mean, most prem babies go onto have no problems at all Ellie has a few medical issue and they cant say for sure it was cause she was prem x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->