• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sticky Blood Syndrome

poppy

Mum of Three
Reaction score
I am thinking of going in to get tested for something called 'Sticky Blood Syndrome' - it has an official name but I can't remember it!

The reason is:

a) a couple of years ago, my sister had a six inch blood clot in her shoulder/arm area. She was put on warfarin and diagnosed with this sticky blood syndrome. Her doctor advised that the family get tested because it can be hereditary. I had a test a few years ago for it, but I don't think the doctor knew exactly what test she was putting it in for. She seemed vague about it and put it in for a general test. It came back normal. However, when my mum went to get tested doctor said to her that the test has to be specific for sticky blood syndrome. So, I really want to get retested for it.

b) there are links between this syndrome and early miscarriage.

I have just suffered my first miscarriage, so I wouldn't be entitled to the investigation tests. However, given my sister has this syndrome, I feel that I should get tested for it. I feel that if I do have at, at least I can take the recommended treatment for it before ttc.

What do you think? Do you think the doctors would give me a test for it? Do any of you suffer from this condition and how has it affected your pregnancies?

I was tested for sticky blood syndrome - I think it's called antiphospholipid syndrome - after my second early miscarriage. It was just a simple blood test and I had the results back really quickly, just a couple of days if I remember rightly
My GP at the time didn't think it would be the cause as most miscarriages that are caused by this syndrome happen later in the first trimester (mine have all been at seven weeks) when the placenta has formed.

My tests did come back negative,but especially as you have a family history of the syndrome I would go to your GP and ask to be specifically tested. I don't see how they could refuse.
I think the treatment following a diagnosis is really simple, like a baby aspirin a day or in some cases an anticoagulant (like your sister) but don't start taking anything until you have seen your GP.
hope everything works out for you, good luck
xx

Yes poppy, search for baby aspirin while ttc. I think baby aspirin eases that.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->